Which paint and clear do you use? I have zero drawing...

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 am
I have zero drawing talent. Can I still paint flames?
Are there templates?
Experience: 40 body parts.

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:37 pm
search my friend pete on you tube.......he can show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDRLUCo ... ure=relmfu
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 pm
car5car wrote:I have zero drawing talent. Can I still paint flames?
Are there templates?

I use PPG DBC for my basecoats and PPG's DBU 2021 for clearcoat. And you don't need to know how to draw to paint flames. What you need to do is practice. Get some 1/8 green masking tape and play around laying out flames. Find a picture of the flames you want to do, tape it to the surface you are practicing on, then start taping, move the tape until you find your flame groove. Lay down your flame, don't like the shape, run more tape over it, change the line, little by little you'll see that its not that hard. But give yourself a chance, I bet you'll be able to do flames just fine.
You don't even want to see what my first flame jobs looked like. Every surface is going to be different, different shapes and curves. Before you resort to templates, put some time into laying down some tape. And I don't mean a half a day, play around for a while, an hour here, and hour there. Crank the tunes, relax and have some fun learning something new!
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:20 pm
What about true fire? How hard is that to learn?
"If you can't move it, paint it." - U.S. Army

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:07 pm
NightTrain wrote:What about true fire? How hard is that to learn?

Painting real fire flames is just like any other kind of custom paint, the hardest part is picking up the airbrush and spending the time learning how to do it. The biggest problem most people have? They don't see the results they want quick enough so they get frustrated and give up. It takes time and with time you'll find your own style of real fire, plus you need to remember that painting real fire is a balance of stencil work and freehand work, too much of one or the other and the effect looks cheesy.
Mike Lavallee sells a great DVD that shows how he does his real fire flames, and in my How to Custom Paint Your Car book, I have a whole chapter that shows step by step photos that show each step of how to paint real fire flames. And I also always use the Tru-Fire Artool templates that Mike designed. You can make your own, but the ones that Mike designed work great for me. plus they have lasted through 7 years of heavy use.
So you have several options, you can try learning on your own or watch Youtube videos about it, or get Mike's DVD (that is what I did 8 years ago when I wanted to learn to paint real fire) or get a book.
So there's really no hard fast rule for real fire, only to be pacient and give it time.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:04 pm
car5car wrote:I have zero drawing talent. Can I still paint flames?
Are there templates?
anybody can paint flames with pratice. It also depends on what type of flame you want, ghost flame, realistic flame, metallic flame, etc. I dont recommend using tape to start out your flames, i recommend using blue fine line tape. Once you get the blue fine line tape youll find it easier to do a flame.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion