Perfect Practice Canvas

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:20 pm
Hi
I just bought this old survivor that runs good but is in need of restoration. I bought a Paashe Talon about a year ago. I played with it some but didnt have anything good practice on. I bought a couple cd's.
All fired up by Ed Hubs and How to Begin Airbrush by Kent Lind and also a Jeff Jewitt cd on finish Painting
i want to put some ghost flames on a 68 Mustang Im working on. I need to get busy practicing.
I bought a paint kit with about a dozen waterbase colors by createx when I bought the airbrush.
I have read on your forum where you say to practice with what you will be using.
When I do flames on my mustang will these waterbase be ok with my urethane basecoat or should I get something else ?; Edit' On my question about using the createx waterbase I forgot to say using with intercoat clear before urethane clear.
I am going to spray some epoxy primer on a fender of this old Catalina and practice.
Advice apreciated.
I forgot I also bought a Real Fire cd from the smokin gun series but cant recall the painter. He has been on Overhaulin and other tv shows.Mike lavalle I think. Ausome work!
I also bought a set of stensils T C P Global sells. I would like to learn but not sure I have the ability.
When you do your dc let us know.

Notice the Jeep got moved out of the garage and the catalina in.
Edit; I didnt see your post on your book. I see Books on your website. Suggest one to start. Thanks

Last edited by musdang22 on Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:06 pm
I went ahead and ordered your book on How to Custom Paint your car.Books are always a good investmant for the brain. Or whats left of it !
:rockon: :happy:

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:05 pm
Thanks for ordering my Custom Car painting book. You're book shipped out today. That book is currently out of print and getting harder to find. I have a few left but they are going fast.
You can use the waterbase over the urethane basecoat and under the urethane clear. For myself I do not use urethane basecoat, preferring to use regular acrylic enamel basecoat, PPG's DBC Deltron line of paint. One of the reasons is, I like how painter friendly it is when I comes to recoat windows. Plus if I mix up too much, I don't have to worry about wasting paint cos it doesn't have a pot life. It does not harden like urethane paint. So if i have extra after I'm done painting, i just seal it in a can or container and I can use it at a later date. Paint is so costly these days, so I use my materials to the fullest extent.

Practice on a spare panel with the water base. Make sure you have the technique down the way you want it before you start to work on the Mustang. Do not be in a rush to get the flames done on the Mustang. But really spend some serious time playing with your real fire technique, don't rush into doing it on the car until you have it exactly the way you want it.

Mike Lavellee's Real Fire CD is awesome! I used it when I started doing the real fire flames years ago. Plus he has a line of Real Fire templates from Artool. I love his Real Fire 2 series and high recommend getting a set of them. In fact, I cannot imagine doing my real fire without using Mike's Tru Fire Artool templates. And always remember what Mike says, dark to light in colors and loose to tight in stencil use. Coast Airbrush sells the Artool templates for the best price you'll find anywhere.

And I love your "practice" car. Love to see that old 2 door Catalina in my garage. And remember to have fun with your art. Explore and make it a fun journey, and you'll be amazed at what kind of work you do when you relax, you don't rush and you don't expect too much from yourself.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm
The acrylic enamel is what I am a lot more comfortable with. I was a centari fan from way back.
I do have a set of the templates you refered to. I ordered with the cd. I will have to be very satisfied with my flame painting capabilities before I put anything on the Mustang. I could kill the value and then I would have to look at it. Thanks for the great informative response.
I did do some reading after I posted here and read that the waterbase and the urethane have basically the same pigment just a different carrier or binder. Cant remember which.
Im glad I got one of those books before they were gone.Your post on why you wrote this book rings some bells on not getting answers you need.

The pontiac has great potential.Its never been molested. They havnt had the greatest folowing but I have always liked them. Theyre coming around. I was 9 in 65 so it takes me back to good times.
The freind that sold it to me just found out he has liver cancer.I told him I didnt want to buy it if he was giving up on things. He assured me he just didnt want it to iust sit and go down hill.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion