Chrome effect

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:03 pm
Has anyone on here ever used any of the chrome effect paint? I have a small amount of house of color kosmic krome I'm going to try. Just wondering what everyone else has used.

Thanks

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:18 am
Well first off, you have the only Chrome effect paint that I would recommend. I use Kosmic Krome for my brushed aluminum effect and it works awesome for that. I have NOT used it for the full on chrome effect, but my friend, Tom Pruett, an amazing painter has used it for that, with great results. BUT, make sure you have downloaded the tech sheet from the HOK site AND follow the tech sheet process to the letter! Make sure you are using all HOK products. The problem with chrome effect paint is delamination. HOK products are a little different from other paint products, the solvents are stronger. So they tend to have extremely great adhesion. BUT, this makes them a little trickier to work with, not much room for error. You have to adhere to the time between coats window like your life depended on it. No running to grab a snack or take a call, you need to time everything. And this is especially true when working on the chrome effect.
In fact, you might want to get a hold of Tom. he can tell you better than me. Here's his FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/docustomz?v=wall
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:34 am
JoAnnBortles wrote:Well first off, you have the only Chrome effect paint that I would recommend. I use Kosmic Krome for my brushed aluminum effect and it works awesome for that. I have NOT used it for the full on chrome effect, but my friend, Tom Pruett, an amazing painter has used it for that, with great results. BUT, make sure you have downloaded the tech sheet from the HOK site AND follow the tech sheet process to the letter! Make sure you are using all HOK products. The problem with chrome effect paint is delamination. HOK products are a little different from other paint products, the solvents are stronger. So they tend to have extremely great adhesion. BUT, this makes them a little trickier to work with, not much room for error. You have to adhere to the time between coats window like your life depended on it. No running to grab a snack or take a call, you need to time everything. And this is especially true when working on the chrome effect.
In fact, you might want to get a hold of Tom. he can tell you better than me. Here's his FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/docustomz?v=wall

Do you have any pictures of the brushed aluminum effect you get out of it? Ive tried finding pictures of the Kosmic Krome to see the effect people are getting but I haven't had much luck. I found another company called motochrome and from the pictures i've seen of their products they are getting very good results. What i'm wanting to try to paint is some ladder bars on a pulling truck and some other parts on the rest of the truck I don't have any HOK primers or clears I need to go buy some. right now I just tried a small part with some ppg 2k primers and a silver base and ppg clear I just want to see what kind of effect it has before I go and buy a bunch of paint. I'll have to try and get ahold of your friend and see if he has any tips.

Thanks
Jordan

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:23 am
Jordan, I have used Motostorm's Motochrome about a half dozen times or so. The big question is, "Does it look like chrome?" I'd say close, but no cigar. This is a pic. of a rear wing I built from scratch, then did a combo of flake, pearls, flowing out into the Motochrome. My opinion is the look is somewhere between a bright aluminum and chrome. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the photography that you see of chrome paints are somewhat, err.... shall we say enhanced. Motochrome does require it's own specific clear sealer before getting into regular clear top coats. The Motochrome also must be sprayed over a glossy black surface to begin with.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 am
DarrelK wrote:Jordan, I have used Motostorm's Motochrome about a half dozen times or so. The big question is, "Does it look like chrome?" I'd say close, but no cigar. This is a pic. of a rear wing I built from scratch, then did a combo of flake, pearls, flowing out into the Motochrome. My opinion is the look is somewhere between a bright aluminum and chrome. I hate to say it, but I think a lot of the photography that you see of chrome paints are somewhat, err.... shall we say enhanced. Motochrome does require it's own specific clear sealer before getting into regular clear top coats. The Motochrome also must be sprayed over a glossy black surface to begin with.

Yeah I don't doubt the pictures on their websites are "enhanced" If I could get the ladder bars to look like polished aluminum I would be happy with that. On the black base did you just us bc/cc then wet sand and buff it to smooth it out before putting the chrome effect on? or would that be too smooth of a surface? I've herd of people putting a small amount of blue tint in the clear to help it look like chrome what are your thoughts on that?

Thanks
Jordan

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:45 pm
Yep, my paint jobber was closing out some small repair pints of black base and I did exactly what you said there. And yes, it was brought to a bright high polish before doing the chrome. The Motostorm Chrome sticks like glue to the polish surface, then you bury it in their special clear, then on to regular clear coat. I too, have heard of people using like a candy blue tint (thinned down a lot in concentration) in an intercoat, then moving on to clear. The idea, like you're thinking, is that the blue ads a "reflection" of realism to the chrome effect. Never done it myself, but I could see where it might help.
Bottom line is, all this stuff is just eperimentation. Before I attempt something big I'll always do some engine or interior trim item and "try out" the effect first.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yep, my paint jobber was closing out some small repair pints of black base and I did exactly what you said there. And yes, it was brought to a bright high polish before doing the chrome. The Motostorm Chrome sticks like glue to the polish surface, then you bury it in their special clear, then on to regular clear coat. I too, have heard of people using like a candy blue tint (thinned down a lot in concentration) in an intercoat, then moving on to clear. The idea, like you're thinking, is that the blue ads a "reflection" of realism to the chrome effect. Never done it myself, but I could see where it might help.
Bottom line is, all this stuff is just eperimentation. Before I attempt something big I'll always do some engine or interior trim item and "try out" the effect first.

Ok cool I might have to get some and try to see how the effect looks. I might try the house of kolor stuff with a black base as well to compare the results. The only thing i'm worried about is on the ladder bars have some tight spaces on them hopefully ill be able to get them completely covered.

Thanks
Jordan

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:13 am
an other good compagny for Chrome is AlsaCorp ... i've never used it but seen a few jobs where it was used ! the have chrome paint and the chrome FX stuff !
http://alsacorp.com/chromefx%20kit/index.html

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion