buffing in hard to reach areas/

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:45 pm
hey Joann, i just have a quick question for you. i figured you buff bikes a lot so here is my question. what do you use or how do you buff in tight places where the buffer wont fit. example on a front fairing of a electriglide how do you get in the tight curves and and corners around the light and where it bolts on to the bike. really any place it wont fit, what is your suggestion. thank you for your time and your knowledge.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 pm
(I know you asked Joann) I just thought I would show you what I use.

A lot of companys make them now. Its a small 3" mini buffer. (Most of the good ones use a lot of air)

http://www.toolsource.com/mini-polisher ... iuvbolfdl7
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:42 pm
thanks ODG i have heard of these before and was thinking about getting them, but just how small of an area can you get into? for instance on the attached photo would you be able to buff the gray area underneath with the 3" pad? like the tight areas under the light part and the corners. or what would you use ODG? i don't have the experience buffing tight areas so i really don't know what to use. thanks for your time!

fairing.jpeg
fairing.jpeg (5.22 KiB) Viewed 7205 times

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:25 am
I use a tool very similar to Old Dupont Guy, its a mini polisher from CP but I use Meguairs mini buffing pads with it. I like the Meguiars pads because they have rounded edges, so they fit great into spots like on the fairing. You can get into some pretty tight areas with it.
And I hate to say this, but sometimes, you will have to do some final finishing by hand. We just finished up an Ultra and there were a couple of places (like right next to the sharp edge of the top of the tour pack body), where I had to take a microfiber towel and compound by hand.

The Meguairs parts numbers are
53BP - The mini backing plate which should fit into any mini polisher
W4003 Easy Buff Wool Pad
W7204 Easy Buff Foam Cutting Pad ( what I use for compounding tight spaces, and this little thing has saved my butt when I am buffing dressers )
W8204 Easy Buff Foam Polishing Pad
W9204 Easy Buff Foam Finishing Pad

And the little mini buffers do eat up alot of air. make sure you have a good amount of air pressure.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:10 pm
,,and just think,,,all of that good information for FREE!!! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha....

Good post Joann!
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:38 pm
OldDupontGuy wrote:,,and just think,,,all of that good information for FREE!!! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha....

Good post Joann!

you are right that's why i am very appreciative of all the information on this site, i wouldn't be where i am right now if it wasn't for this site, and i thank you all again

P.S thank you personally Joann for the info and all the part numbers very appreciated

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion