water based question

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:23 pm
Hey JoAnn ! I just bought your airbrushing book and love it. Lots of info. I also have your custom bike painting book, a lot of hard won lessons and great "Don't let this happen to you" tips and tricks !!!
I'm trying to get back into airbrushing and custom paint after a near fatal case of pneumonia and I'm staying away from ureos and lacquer for my airbrushing.My question is, is there any difference between Auto-Air and Createx (besides the reducers) ? They smell the same,taste the same (just a little bit) and spray the same. Locally I only have access to Createx and Wicked,and I bought quite a bit of those when I started back playing with the airbrush,and I've bought some Auto-Air candies and a few colors online trying to master the elusive "True Fire" (still trying ...) but now I'm ready to paint my Harley and I want to paint a skull and crossed piston-rods on top of the tank. If I use some of the Createx,is it gonna fade ? I'm going black with pearl blue flames and clear with a good ureo clear for protection.
What does everyone think,will the "t-shirt paint" last or do I need to save my money and learn to hold my breath ??? (YES, I have a good respirator ...)
Thanx to you Jo ! And anyone else who has worked with Createx on metal feel free to comment !

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:39 am
Anyone ???

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 am
Sorry busy day yesterday. Ok your questions
I do not know about Createx when it comes to fading. I have used Auto Air and Wicked on projects and have not had customers complain about fading issues. Wicked is a great product and many painters really like it. I know the company put a great deal of research into the product and it should work fine for your bike.
As for differences, I know Auto Air and Wicked were created specifically for use in the automotive field. I would stick with Auto Air and Wicked if I were doing an automotive project.
And practice with the colors and techniques you are planning to use on your project. Waterbased paint sprays differently and its best to master how the colors spray before you work on the project. Its what i do when I use something I'm not very experienced with using.
And make sure to dry out your colors after you spray them. its the one thing about working with waterbased paint. You have to blow or dry the water of out the color after its sprayed before you apply another coat. Keep a heat gun or blow gun handy, after you have spray, point the gun at the surface at an angle ( so you blow the moisture out, not deeper into the paint). If you are using a heat gun have it at a low setting and not too close. Use common sense if using a heat gun. You paint must be dry before you add any more coats.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:41 pm
An Auto-Air company rep made several posts about this in a few forums a while back. Auto Air Auto-Borne and Wicked Colors are the same, but Wicked Colors is less expensive. Wicked Colors was supposed to be a promotional line with an initial lower price, but the pricing just stayed the same - at least until last year, that's the last time I checked.
Createx is a different formulation, it doesn't have the low level of solvents that are present in Auto-Borne/ Wicked colors. Not sure of what the solvents are, but the levels are very low, and are added to make the paint more durable.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion