Hey JoAnn,Just got my new book !

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:23 pm
I just got my copy of the design idea book and I'm blown away !!! So many design ideas it will take a week to digest it all. And several pix of your "not quite ghost flames" bike. I really didn't like that paint job the first time I saw it,but the more I look at it the more I like it ! You have my undying respect just for laying out that many flame licks ...
Your series of books have more useful info for new custom painters (and old ones like me) than any other books on the market. Anyone who wants to learn custom techniques, even if you think you know it all, pick up JoAnn's books. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had,and if you buy them from her web site, you get a personally signed copy for less than you will pay anywhere else !!!
So at the risk of being called a suck up,many thanks JoAnn for sharing your years of pain and suffering so others can learn without quite so much misery. :clap:

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 am
Thanks! I went through many years of painting hell. Back when I started out in the 70's there was little info to be had about custom painting. In fact I had bought the two books that had been written on the subject. I still have them BTW.
So when I write my books and articles, I write as if I were the one reading the article, try and fore see most of the problems that might arise, so I can answer most of the questions people will have. Custom painting creates issues most painters can imagine. Then you have to and figure out what went wrong. And keep it from happening again. And after 33 years of this, I still learn new stuff all the time.
As for the not so ghost flames on my chopper. When I paint my stuff, I paint for me. In fact, the paint job on my other bike, most people don't really like it. But I love it.
I try and get people to think out side of the box, to come up with their own ideas. To be creative and inspired.
Thanks for the support! It means alot to me.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 am
I know what you mean about your bikes. When I design paint for my personal bike or car, I really don't care if anyone else likes it or not ! If you are in business,as long as the job is done right and the customer is happy, you have done your job.
When I had my first bike painted back in '77,I told the painter I wanted it black with lots of blue pearl mixed in, and flames on top. He explained that pearl is usually mixed with clear and shot on top of the base,but if that's what I wanted, he would do it. When it was done, we both loved it !!! That was my first lesson in breaking the rules, but not my last.
The painter was new in town.We talked and I learned he had been a custom painter for several of the big name custom van shops around Dallas (Good Times,Venture Vans etc...) Vans were the big thing back then. He told me he always hid his "mark" in the graphics somewhere and I started looking at vans and sure enough,almost every van with a paint job I liked had his mark on it. I was still in high school but I told him I would sweep floors and sand primer all summer and then after school for free if he would teach me to paint.It was time well spent.
Now I'm starting over,and a lot has changed with new paint,techniques and laws, lots of new stuff to learn. But with your books and your writing style reminds me of the way Steve taught me all those years ago.I just wish your shop was closer,I would gladly sweep up and sand primer just to look over your shoulder....

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 am
JoAnn,
Noticed your info & website link on the forum and checked it out. I must say - the custom paint you have done looks great. We have an auto body shop North of Dallas in Plano, Texas and we do some motorcycle paint sometimes - mostly baggers. But the custom airbrush and graphics on your bikes is really spectacular - and I just wanted to pay you the compliment. Flames & airbrush are never easy, and you did some great work!!
Code: Select all
<a href="http://www.linearautomotiverepair.com" style="text-decoration:underline;">Auto Body Shop</a>

Linear Automotive
905 K Ave
Plano, TX 75074
972/633-2201
http://www.linearautomotiverepair.com

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:27 pm
Hi JoAnn,
I just bought your "How to Master Airbrush Techniques". Looks like a good book. I can't wait until it shows up! :)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:54 pm
Just wanted to do a mini review of the book since I've had a chance to read it now.

Wow! I must say, this book has a lot of practical information in it, for both the beginner and seasoned airbrush artist. :)

The information is laid out well, concise, and to the point. There are a lot of full color pics to go along with the descriptions and techniques. The text is in a good size that makes it easy to read. The pages are of good quality glossy paper and printed well.
Its nice to find a book that doesn't look like it was slapped together by an editorial department! ;)

JoAnn,

Good job on this book! I am thoroughly enjoying it and have read the first half twice, just to make sure I grasp all of the concepts. I like how you included many practical approaches and solutions to problems that one might run into. This will save a lot of headaches, time, and money - for people who take note.

Thank you,
-Bobby

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:56 am
Glad you dig the book. I wanted to really make the book helpful. I've read lots of books on painting, and tried to make mine as easy to use as possible. I try and make my books honest, dealing with issues that other books don't address. As in how stress from painting affects your work and how to deal with it. Most painters and artists get stressed out, and that creates even more problems.
I've learned quite a bit about technical writing since i wrote that book. I'm working on another book, this one focuses on autobody, restoration and custom painting. Some airbrushing in it. Its going to be a very cool book.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion