Airbrushing over existing paint?????

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm
Ok let me start this off I have no expertise painting on cars or bikes. I just like airbrushing portraits, places and things on steel and aluminum panels so I would feel comfortable doing it. I have only been painting for about 6 months. A friend of mine would like me to paint his logo on his construction trailer. This leads me to multiple questions. 1. Will this hold up over existing paint and clear coat? 2. I have a feeling that after clear coating the image it will not blend well with the existing clear coat does this problem occur? 3. Should I just tell him lets repaint the whole thing.This is for a very good friend and as all of us hate turning away work. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew nor ruin a stellar reputation for the work I have completed this far. Thanks for looking.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm
castona333 wrote:Ok let me start this off I have no expertise painting on cars or bikes. I just like airbrushing portraits, places and things on steel and aluminum panels so I would feel comfortable doing it. I have only been painting for about 6 months. A friend of mine would like me to paint his logo on his construction trailer. This leads me to multiple questions. 1. Will this hold up over existing paint and clear coat?

It all depends on the existing paint. Is it in good shape. What kind of paint is it? Is it compatible with the paint your are using?It should be fine, if its a urethane clear, and you are using basecoat with a urethane clear. I do this all the time and it works great. But make sure the surface is cleaned very very throroughly with wax and grease remover.

2. I have a feeling that after clear coating the image it will not blend well with the existing clear coat does this problem occur?

The best result is to clearcoat over the entire panel. Spot clearing will not give you as good a result especially for a new painter.

3. Should I just tell him lets repaint the whole thing.This is for a very good friend and as all of us hate turning away work. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew nor ruin a stellar reputation for the work I have completed this far. Thanks for looking.

I answered your questions in bold font above. Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm getting a car ready for SEMA Show.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion