Model car spraying

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 pm
Hi, Can anyone recommend a safe paint system for home use, for spraying model cars ?

I am currently 'testing' with automotive Basecoat/Clear and also with 2K stuff, which I know is a bad idea, which is why I want to find a better, safer alternative.

Is water based auto paint a better way to go ? What about primers and lacquers ? Does anyone have any experience of this paint ?

Thanks

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:06 am
We have used acrylic basecoat and urethane clear automotive paint on Pinewood Derby cars. Its worked well and held up over the years. But you do have to deal with the fumes.
I don't see why you couldn't use automotive waterborne. But remember, waterborne sprays differently than solvent based paint. After each coat, you have to dry the water out of the paint. An air gun held at a 45 degree angle towards the surface does the trick in a pinch but if using an air gun, use a low pressure and keep the gun moving, or else you'll force the water deeper into the paint. When painting water on cars we use special air dryers, they are like an air gun but they diffuse the air.
You can also allow the waterborne to dry on its own. It just takes a little longer.
You also should wear a respirator when spraying ANY kind of paint. Even waterborne. The waterborne system I use is PPG's Envirobase High Performance. But keep in mind, you still need to use a urethane clear coat over your waterborne for that glassy finish and lasting protection.
And for model cars, look into mini spray guns.
Crazy Horse Custom Paint
And Author of How to Custom Paint Your Car
http://www.crazyhorsepainting.com/

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion