How to Paint a deer rifle?

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 pm
So I've been shooting my new rifle for a while and wanted to paint the barrel to match the stock and wondering if I could use bc/cc,ss ? Or do I have to do the whole duracoat process? I would like to pick out my color at the shop and not be limited to what's available online. I'm wasn't sure where to post this and figured its considered "custom" to a certain extent. Thanks in advanced

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 am
Your in luck Steve.
I have painted quite a few guns. (AR's, Shotguns, and Pistols) If you want to paint the barrel and want it to last I would use the DuraCoat products.
If you want to paint the barrel and just want it to look good for a while, sure you can use automotive paints.

I would sand blast it with fine sand, wash it with hot soap and water and then blow it off quick. I would spray one coat of epoxy, then your base and clear. Remember, epoxy does not like a lot of heat,,,so dont shoot to many rounds off and let the barrel get to hot.

Here is my Taurus Raging Bull .454 handgun that I hunt with. I did a temporary rattle can job on this one. Its stainless. I used etch then black matte over the polished surface so I could wash it off with lacquer thinner when I was ready to sell it.

Here is a couple of AR's I did for a customer. I sprayed "DuraHeat" from duracoat on these. (Thats a lot of money your looking at)

I cant find the rest of my pictures..........
"The number of parasites in the USA has now eclipsed the number of productive members of society"

Capt Rick Hiott.
www.reelfishhead.com

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:41 am
Thanks for the reply, it's a long range bolt rifle so not going to be shooting it near as much as a AR or FAL. I was actually debating shooting it with some rattle can for the same purpose as you mentioned above. Might just go that route. I read a review on the duracoat and in the test at around 250 degrees it started to discolor, the duraheat did fine on up to 500 (as hot as they could get it with suppressed AR) ill let y'all know how it goes either way I go. My barrel hardly gets hot enough not to touch so I figured if I go urathane it should hold up for a good while.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion