Custom marble paint job - am I crazy?

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:21 pm
I'm trying to plan a custom paint job for the motorcycle I just bought. I haven't painted anyting in a while and some of these new products are just amazing. I wanted to check with you guys to see if I have flipped my lid or am missing something in my research. The bike is a 2006 Hond VTX1800S, so just tank and fenders to paint 9side covers being replaced with chrome pieces).

This was my plan: (using House Of Kolors products)

Sand thouroughly, do all body work (a few minor dings)

Spray with Ko-Seal II (black)
sand

Spray with PBC100 Black Pearl base coat
sand

Spray with HOK silver/white Marbelizer
cover with Saran wrap and remove
dry

Spray with HOK MB00 neutral(clear) Marbelizer mixed with ultra fine flake
dry

Spray with HOK MB00 neutral(clear) marbelizer mixed with silver pearl
dry

Spray with SG100 intercoat
dry

Finish with two coats of HOK urethane clear
dry

wet sand

buff

SO... any I crazy?
Did I miss something?

Opinions?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:58 pm
sounds like a lot of layers of marbelizer to muddy things up. make sure to do some test panels first to make sure it is going to give the effect you want. also you may need to intercoat clear or even urethane clear between layers of marbelizer to prevent it from rewetting itself. not sure on that one but if you do a test panel you'll find out

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 pm
I just got done doing a HOK flake Kandy job on my car. Make sure you read the tech sheet on each product they are VERY specific on what they want. I used Ko-seal II (KS-11) black as my base. They state that you DONOT sand it let it go 1- 2 hours then top coat (wet on wet) if over 4 hours then sand and re-coat. Check but I DON'T think they want you to sand the PBC 100 either. Sand a metalic / flake as it will mess it up. I shot flake (F-65 mini Fireball, 128/1) in sg-150 flake carrier and all they wanted was to let it flash for an hour then hit it with a white pad to knock off the standing / loose flake air an tack then clear it (let sit overnight) then sand with 320. I have not used the MB stuff but I would make sure you follow their direction TO THE LETTER with respect to re-coat times and process. Good luck and I would shoot a test panel with your process to make sure it works and looks like you want it to. Mel

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion