Crash Helmets

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:23 am
Hi all,

Was just wondering what do you guys use to prime motorcycle crash helmets?
I know that solvent based paints are lethally destructive if they come into contact with the inner workings of a crash helmet but what do you do when you need a good solid foundation that will grip the helmet and not bleed through or do anything bad?
I've been advised to use a Lechler 2k primer but it does seem like a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Are 2k primers in a can any good? Anyone any experience of them?

Much appreciated.
Bren

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:19 pm
Just curious - what is it about a helmet that would allow a solvent-based primer to damage the inner parts? My first reaction to your question would have been to say "epoxy primer" - but I'm missing the reason why solvents are not to be used - can they really get into the inside of the helmet just by applying to the outside?

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:40 pm
Hi Chris, yeah, I watched a short video by Simon Murray for Auto Air. Basically he was dismantling a crash helmet and the vid was showing you how not to trash one in the process! Anyway, he emphasised the importance of thorough masking, especially to the vent holes (every helmet has them).
He actually took a half helmet, it had been cut in half to demonstrate the point, and he poured neat thinners onto the styrene foam inside. Obviously, it just vapourised it to nothing. Scary stuff. Now, that was neat thinner, but, the solvent effect remains similar in a paint or lacquer, apparently.
Only quoting what I saw here, I'm no expert!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:43 pm
heh...yeah solvents will turn Styrofoam into nothing very quickly. But still not a reason why you shouldn't use solvent paints on a helmet - as long as the inside parts are well protected from the paint products being used, you should be fine.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:21 pm
I hope this rumor gets debunked. Solvent born paints will destroy the inner crush foam, but has no effect to the outer shell. Still, the rumor floats through the forums that painting helmets is dangerous. Mask off the vents and the inner components, and let the paint fly.

I spray helmets all the time using epoxy primer, 2k high build, solvent born base and clear, and have never had an issue. And yes, I wear a custom painted helmet on my bike all summer long.

Have fun, and don't forget to post some pics!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:41 pm
polycarbonate crash helmets ,dont use solvent based primer ,only water based primer.fiberglass helmets you can use solvent base primer.
fail to prepare ,prepare to fail.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion