Best colors to mimic chrome?

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:27 pm
Hey wondering what are some of the best colors to start with to mimic chrome? Im not sure if theres a set standard of course mimicking chrome is dependent on reflection etc. but I just want to see what some people might know about it. I have never tried to do chrome just yet but would like to get some input on it. Example chrome emblems, trim etc.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:55 pm
There really are no best colors. Duplicate your reference and practice photorealism techniques. Black and white chrome is the basic and any color seen is simply added. The reference I used to airbrush this S&S motor was black and white. However, if it were illuminated as seen with the blue light it could have been painted that way. Just paint what you see.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 am
Awesome. The depth you created is amazing. I have had a project sitting in my garage for over a year because I can not duplicate this chrome look worth a darn. But honestly after seeing this work and the ability to use it as a reference I might just try to tackle it again this week. Thank you for posting this.

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion