clear coat over camouflage acrylic help

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:24 pm
Newbie, bear with me. I custom paint fishing lures and I've gotten pretty darned good at it. I use Wicked or Createx acrylic for a base and the same for colors and patterns. The gloss that brings the pop and seals the deal is 2 part epoxy that is brushed on and rotated until cured. Now I'm bored with lures and want to custom paint a camo pattern on a jeep. Was thinking I could wet sand the existing panels, lay down the same acrylic for my camo patterns (I really like being able to wash off errors with a sponge) and then clear coat the entire project with urethane clear coat. Have practiced this to some degree on both plastic and metal and had good results but was using clear coat enamel. I was hoping that someone here has real input (experience) in doing this...possibly those who airbrush motorcycles as I have seen some brilliant work from truly talented people. If you have suggestions on specific brands of base and clears I would appreciate it. I have 5 or 6 small airbrushes I intend to use and 3 or 4 automotive sprayers for the clear coat. It will likely be a project that happens over several weeks in a garage but it may not take that long since a jeep is a fairly small canvas relatively speaking. I have zero experience in auto painting so any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm not looking for the flat finish camo effect. I want a camo pattern similar to real tree or mossy oak look but a gloss finish that protects the finish. Thanks for any suggestions.

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:24 pm
Sorry for the delay on this - I know that there are guys who paint fishing lures. They do use automotive clears and I think they are using the same acrylics you are -- but I'd want to experiment with that first to make sure it doesn't react badly.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:58 pm
Thanks Chris! Ive been busy but have had time to experiment on some metal ammo cans and I think I have my answer. Using basically any airbrush acrylic (createx or others) and clear coating with automotive acrylic enamel clear coat (rattle can right now). So far the only problem I've had at all is slight orange peel from the rattle can, though I am getting better with each try. Wet sanding with 1500 then 2000 grit and buffing takes it to glass and brings back the shine. Considering this is a samurai for hunting, I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge soon. I've decided that my safety equipment is probably not good enough for urethane clear anyway and I don't want to spend a lot of $ to upgrade for the equipment to do this safely just for one project. I'll likely be doing it in a garage anyway. When I'm finished I may post some pics

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:01 am
You can use createx paint and urethane clear. The mask isn't expensive u can pick one up for 40 bucks. It's your bet investment in my opinion even for airbrush you should use one. Doesn't seem like a important thing when airbrushing but given the distance of how close you stand to your canvas when sparking airbrush paints you should definitely where a mask. I where mine for everything sanding, welding, and painting. Even buffing a car out I wear some kind of protection. I like my lungs and really don't want to use a oxygen mask in the future. Just my 2 cents.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion