newbie needs help with airbrush paints

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:35 pm
hello i painted my old maxima with a rivet paint job (pics) i just used rattle can for the base and matte clear coat, but the air brush paints were tamiya water base that i use for my scale models.
after about 4 months the red/rust color had almost faded away . i assume this is because that paint doesn't have much pigment . what airbrush paints would be good to use so they dont fade so fast. and about how many oz of each color to do the same paint job

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:53 am
Wow pretty nice work. Now did you use rattle can matte clear? Not to familiar with airbrush paints but I know testors may not have been the best choice. A urethane or enamel over reduced might be a better choice. I would also use a better automotive cLear with a matting agent as wel.
Good work don't come cheap, cheap work isn't always good!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:42 pm
thanks, the base green and the clear coat were both rattle can, i only had $200 in the whole paint job including tape, sandpaper, etc.

i found some auto air paints in the colors i need. i will see if they last longer. i wish i could use real base coat clear coat but im doing this in the parking lot of my apartment just like the maxima.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:18 am
Autoair should work great. My understanding is t is "lightfast" and designed for use exterior use.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:28 am
maximum_overdrive wrote: . . . i wish i could use real base coat clear coat but im doing this in the parking lot of my apartment just like the maxima.

You can have a jobber mix up proper automotive paint in spray cans for you. The 2k paints will last ions longer than those off the shelf rattle can paints. That is why we do not recommend using them. They simply can not hold up to the elements or abuse that a genuine automotive paint and clear can.

The clear coat is what provides the protection from UV rays, scratches, bird droppings, etc. destroying your color coats. Substandard protection means short lived paint jobs.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:43 pm
Autoair works good but isn't readily available. I use Createx Wicked from Hobby lobby. It works good. Both are water based. How long did all the rivets take?

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion