Tape and Kandy

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:34 pm
Ok guys quick question. When should I pull the fine tape off my kandy job? I have some lines taped out and I want them masked from the kandy so the base will shine. The tech sheet says kandy must be cleared before dry just after kandy has stopped "stringing" but must Not be dry.
Thanks.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 am
i assume you are using UK series ? why not just use KK ?

sounds like you are doing this all wrong.

give me more info
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:59 pm
PainterDave wrote:i assume you are using UK series ? why not just use KK ?

sounds like you are doing this all wrong.

give me more info

Yes, I'm using UK series. It's what I have laying around... KK would be nice to use because I believe I can just mix that with SG100 right?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:27 pm
correct, or DBC500.

i guess do as it says, pull after it is done stringing. but in the future use KK

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:42 pm
PainterDave wrote:correct, or DBC500.

i guess do as it says, pull after it is done stringing. but in the future use KK

Yeah thanks to your post I have been reading up on KKs. Seems like the way to go. I'm a little worried about the color though. I'm matching a fender color to the rest of a bike that i painted years ago. I did a spray out and got it dialed in to 4 coats of uk09. Hell I'll just run with what I have. If i screw up I'll just order some mk. It's only a fender. Thanks for the info!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:32 pm
Timber0472 wrote:Ok guys quick question. When should I pull the fine tape off my kandy job? I have some lines taped out and I want them masked from the kandy so the base will shine. The tech sheet says kandy must be cleared before dry just after kandy has stopped "stringing" but must Not be dry.
Thanks.

I read that also, and I dont understand by what they mean "...after kandy has stopped "stringing" but must Not be dry."

I havent used the UK series, but I do have and use a lot of the KK candies. Matter of fact PD (Painter Dave) is the one that got me using the stuff and along with others on this site helped me quite a bit. I use cheap intercoat clears with the KKs - used to use The Coatings Store and now use Tamco stuff. Then I follow up with either HOK's Rokket (speed) clear or Tamco's HS clear. I buy and use the cheap (compared to DBC500) intercoat clears because until PD adopts me and I move into his shop, it saves me a bunch of money as I buy them by the gallon.

With the intercoat clears, I pull the tape (now use FBS tapes) as soon as I can, but wait a good while to clear, sometimes not until the next morning.

Anyways good luck and post some pics.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:35 am
Timber0472 wrote:
PainterDave wrote:correct, or DBC500.

Yeah thanks to your post I have been reading up on KKs. Seems like the way to go. I'm a little worried about the color though. I'm matching a fender color to the rest of a bike that i painted years ago. I did a spray out and got it dialed in to 4 coats of uk09. Hell I'll just run with what I have. If i screw up I'll just order some mk. It's only a fender. Thanks for the info!

sounds like a good plan. post some pics.

FYI the KK can achieve the exact same color as UK, the UK is just pre tinted with KK dye.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:38 am
OldFatBald wrote:
Timber0472 wrote:Ok guys quick question. When should I pull the fine tape off my kandy job? I have some lines taped out and I want them masked from the kandy so the base will shine. The tech sheet says kandy must be cleared before dry just after kandy has stopped "stringing" but must Not be dry.
Thanks.

I read that also, and I dont understand by what they mean "...after kandy has stopped "stringing" but must Not be dry."

I havent used the UK series, but I do have and use a lot of the KK candies. Matter of fact PD (Painter Dave) is the one that got me using the stuff and along with others on this site helped me quite a bit. I use cheap intercoat clears with the KKs - used to use The Coatings Store and now use Tamco stuff. Then I follow up with either HOK's Rokket (speed) clear or Tamco's HS clear. I buy and use the cheap (compared to DBC500) intercoat clears because until PD adopts me and I move into his shop, it saves me a bunch of money as I buy them by the gallon.

With the intercoat clears, I pull the tape (now use FBS tapes) as soon as I can, but wait a good while to clear, sometimes not until the next morning.

Anyways good luck and post some pics.

OFB, when clear is flashing and you touch it, there are stages.

wet slick, just applied

stringy, strings to your finger when pulling away

tacky not stringy, ideal time to add another coat

Valspar DeBeer LIC

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:32 pm
PainterDave wrote:OFB, when clear is flashing and you touch it, there are stages.

wet slick, just applied

stringy, strings to your finger when pulling away

tacky not stringy, ideal time to add another coat

"...kandy must be cleared before dry just after kandy has stopped stringing"

* Isn't that too soon to clear over a basecoat/intercoat and possibly going to trap gasses?

I've learned to wait and not be in such a hurry in between coats, especially when doing the multi layer custom stuff. And since I am in the Pig Barn, I've learned not to clear near the end of the day anytime around dusk as I was just making bug traps with my clear. I have been letting my basecoats sit overnight and clearing in the morning.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:23 pm
20191221_172636.jpg
So this turned out pretty good but I had a run in the kandy. This is my plan to fix. Pls tell me if you see any problems...
1. Wet Sand whole fender with 1200.
2. Tape off up to fine black line on side with run and mask rest of fender.
3. Re base with Orion silver.
4. Spray 4 more coats of uk09 over base.
5. Peel tape after 30 min.
6. Re clear whole fender.
Note. Clear was finished and will have been dry for 24 hours before starting the above. I know some say wait until clear is cured (7 or so days). Not really liking that idea. Any advice? Any potential disasters? Thanks!
Next

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion