tape designs

Discuss custom painting, artwork and airbrushing

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:49 pm
so as some of you all know im new to alot of this as we all were at one time.
ive got a 12 inch by 18 inch panel that i have a flake base coat on and its clear coated ready for some practice art work..

so what are some simple tape designs to start out with to do?
i know its a silly question but i thought i would give it a shot .
i am pondering to much on what to start out with lol and my mind is going blank..
i can picture some things in my head but cant just seem to get it down on the panel lol.
im not very artistic and i cant freehand to save my life lol..

what are some designs yall started out with ?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm
So, I'm kind of lucky. My aunt was a portrait studio airbrush artist, my cousin is a pro pinstriping and freehand graphics illustrator, my mom was a floral designer and sketch artist, etc. I can usually translate what is in my head into something decent on a surface. Something that helped me somewhat with getting tape designs down was first using stencil flame patterns like the True Fire stuff. These are free domain ones that you can download and cut out yourself.....https://chuckbauman.com/free-realistic- ... plates.htm By doing some air brushing with these I could then "see" how to make symmetrical patterns. It helped a lot. I once did a lightning storm effect over a marbleized effect on an air cleaner. It was a combo of some tape layout and using those stencils...... You might consider taking a beginning art/drawing class at a community college or even just a workshop..... Tamco, for instance, has training classes every now and then with many popular artists brought in to their manufacturing facility.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:09 pm
Make sure you have some masking tapes in different sizes like 1/8 inch, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and definitely some fine line tapes, I prefer FBS fine line tapes. Then take a look at some lowrider pattern designs and pick one that captures your eye, than let the fun begin! Go on YouTube and take a look at some of the custom paint videos and you’ll get some good ideas. I do this for a living and I can tell you that it takes a lot of practice. Have fun!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 pm
im trying to learn to work with fine line tape but it is winning the battle lol!!
the little test fender i did i had some stencils i printed onto some thin stencil film i traced them onto some tape and cut them out.
i made them from my brother scan and cut printer but its a picky machine sometimes things work out sometimes they dont ive had a circut and a cameo 4 but both were junk imo..

i follow instagram alot and different painters artiest see some of the stuff they do and im amazed like with thier car show reward panels with diff designs and diff color paints etc..
id love to learn to do stuff like that im sure some of them use stencil film etc but some of them looks like they were done with tape and fine line tape..

ive got a couple of panels im working with now and i look at them and im like lord what can i put on them i vision things but my mind just goes blank lol maybe i think too much into it?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 am
Practice, practice, practice..... don't think about stuff at all. Just start doing it....let the tape wonder a bit.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:48 pm
Just start doing it. Seriously, don't worry about screwing up, it all can be sanded off.

I love doing test panels when I can. Write notes on the back of the panel.

Do your graphics over a cleared base of flakes. If I can get decent results anyone can.

I still sand off stuff if I don't like it, it is the good side to just doing stuff at my own pace and not having to worry about making a buck with this stuff (if I did, I would have been broke a long time ago!!!)

FBS tapes are the way to go. Adds up fast though! This is not a cheap hobby.

I did the gold test panel prior to doing my Caddy's trunk and ended up going a different direction. But I kept the panel knowing that some day I will use it as a reference.

Taped Panel 01.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:00 pm
This purple panel is from a "Lowrider Street Style Panel" class taught by some of the best out there, Danny D, Dan Fontaine (Triggerman), Armando Serrano and Bugs. It needs a little more fade work and kind of bothers me every time that I look at it.

They offer classes at different shops but if you can get to So Cal during one of the Coast Airbrush shop's Airbrush Rendezvous which this year is JUNE 11th - 13th, 2021, go, it is packed with talent and instructions.
https://www.coastairbrush.com/abrendezvous/home.html

The red/blue panel was another test panel trying out some color combos and the blue candy.

Purple Panel 2.jpg
Test 5-2-18  (03).jpg

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:02 pm
Another thing to experiment with is fades, you can shoot some blue, fade it out. Then come back with some yellow and fade it from the other side and now you have three colors.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:06 pm
yeah i have to cleared panels one of them has a black base.
one of them has a red flake base and you are true i know it isnt a cheap hobby lol..
ive been trying some tape stuff but been puling up more tape cause cant seem to get a straight line lmao!!

i wouldnt mind doing painted signs for people etc might be a cool little thing to do..
im trying to come up with a logo for myself and advertise and learning as i go lol!

i need to try something simple at first lol the purple panel with that design is nice man..

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:02 pm
OldFatBald wrote:This purple panel is from a "Lowrider Street Style Panel" class taught by some of the best out there, Danny D, Dan Fontaine (Triggerman), Armando Serrano and Bugs. It needs a little more fade work and kind of bothers me every time that I look at it.

They offer classes at different shops but if you can get to So Cal during one of the Coast Airbrush shop's Airbrush Rendezvous which this year is JUNE 11th - 13th, 2021, go, it is packed with talent and instructions.
https://www.coastairbrush.com/abrendezvous/home.html

The red/blue panel was another test panel trying out some color combos and the blue candy.

Purple Panel 2.jpg
Test 5-2-18 (03).jpg

so the purple panel im guessing for the L shaped design you used fine line tape to tape it out or?
Next

Return to Airbrushed Art & Custom Painting Discussion