Yes, you can use your turbine for art....

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:18 pm
Some of you might have followed along over the project area on here as I hand laid up a wing for my Smyth Dodge Charger. So the wing has had a year and a half of driving, trips, shows, etc. When I intially built it the epoxy resins that I was using actually in the Kevlar/Carbon Fiber cloths made no pretense to have any UV protection. The later poured on epoxies I switched to did have UV inhibitors. Long story short..... I got an internal blush/haze down low in the fibers almost whiting out the colors. Okay, so there has been no external peeling, splitting, cracking, or even movement with the wing. The color fade is down inside.
So when I first built this piece I had considered doing True Fire or Real Fire graphics with it. Here was an opportunity..... I scuffed up the existing matte clear well at 400, hit it with some anti-stat, and proceeded to put on Tamco Jet Black as a background color. I next mixed up the same Paint with Pearl bi-flop pearl that I used originally on my truck with Tamco Intercoat Clear. Using some Chuck Bauman Stencil patterns I made my own shapes out of projector film. I had my 6 stage portable unit with my Sprayfine gravity gun, set the output down to about level of a 3 or 4 stage output and began to hold the stencils as I misted just past them with the pearl.
Take a look at the pic.s. I think that this illustrates that you can really control how the pearls hit the surface for your highlights, in some ways maybe even better than a mini gun or airbrush. My theory has always been that since you are spraying through a larger gun tip (1.3 here) that the pearls are orienting themselves differently and broadcasting better. Also, the lower pressure of the turbines allow for less bouncing around of the colors.
Attachments
IMG_20210312_181217064.jpg
This is what we had a year and a half ago....
Wing refinish.jpg
So here is what we had faded to.... that squiggly pattern there is a pull in the Kevlar fabric. You could not even see that until we got the blush...
Wing refinish 2.jpg
So here are my cutouts for spraying the bi flop pearl...
Wing refinish 4.jpg
A semi cloudy sky gets a much more subtle look...
Wing refinish 3.jpg
Just like my truck paint both high and low sun angles give contrasting effects..
Wing refinish 6.jpg
I was very happy with the finished effect. I wanted it to look like the wing still had the smoldering fire embers from the back window graphic... The final clear here is Tamco's Matte Clear.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:49 pm
Very cool DarrelK. Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering just how much we can do with Turbine systems but there is not a whole lot of information out.

DarrelK wrote:I had my 6 stage portable unit with my Sprayfine gravity gun, set the output down to about level of a 3 or 4 stage output,, .

How did you turn down the output? Did you turn it down at the valve, have it wired for 2 speed, or using a rheostat?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:20 pm
On mine I use the simple inline air valve to back it off. If you have a 2 speed model like most of the 6 stage units you could also just put it down to the lower speed which emulates a 4 stage. Personally I just like the air valve for it's simplicity and ability to be further choked down to more like a 3 stage output. A rheostate would easily acomplish the same thing and also put less back pressure on the turbine blades......
Oh, and also did not mention that I always move my fan pattern click stop to diagonal for a round pattern for this. With adjustment of air flow you should be able to turn your pattern down to just slightly less than the size of a pencil eraser.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Turbine Systems