Gravity Feed Vs Siphon Turbine HVLP Spray Gun

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:05 pm
I am about to purchase a stage 4 sprayfine turbine and I am looking for some advice on the gun. Phil from turbine products recommends the siphon gun for automotive purposes. Everything I have read online says that gravity fed would be better.

Any thoughts on this?

Also which gun do you guys recommend the sprayfine or tp tools gun?

Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:33 pm
So I've been shooting with 2,3, 4, 5,6 and have even tested 9 stage units over the years. The old Sicmo clone guns have been around this entire time. TP has refined them a bit. I have like 5 Sicmos and a couple of Phil's guns. One is a gravity, the other is a siphon feed. So here is some pros/cons on both of them. The gravity design will let you shoot higher viscosity materials which are not uncommon especially with some automotive primers and even clears. It's simple.... it uses a pressure feed tube up top and it uses gravity to increase the fluid feed to the gun. So that's a good thing.... now note that the cup is only 20 ounces which is about the max. cup you can go with IF you want that gun to feel comfortable in your hand. Sure, you can throw an aftermarket 32 ounce cup up there but just wait until you lift that thing and start moving with it.... The other downside to gravity is working with pearls like as in mid coats or custom dry pearls in solution. Most pearls don't want to stay fully suspended and have a tendancy to "drop." Uhhhhh, so where are they dropping to in this gun??? Yeah, they can get concentrated down in there so maybe not such a good thing. I can fight this pretty easily as I use Tamco's intercoat clear which is the best pearl carrier I have ever seen. So, the siphon gun's big adantage here is that 32 ounce gun and the ability to shoot those mid coats without worrying about everything staying decently mixed. You can even drop a few steelies down in that cup and stuff will stay thoroughly mixed up. His siphon gun design also is easier on your hand and the natural way you grip it. With his 4 stage I would probably go siphon. Keep something in mind here, a lot of old timers like myself shot with siphon guns for years and years..... gravity guns are a modern invention.... we still turned out quality work....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:52 am
Thanks a ton for the info. I ended purchasing the stage 4 kit with the siphon gun and the gravity gun as well that I am going to run 3m pps cups. My first time using a turbine so I want to try out both the siphon and gravity gun. I also purchased 1.0 and 1.8 tips. My car is currently getting pdr so hopefully I can get it painted next week.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:49 pm
Are you sure that the pps cups will work with that gravity gun? You may have to adapt it by putting a fitting on the very top that would accept the mini pressurization hose from this style of gravity gun. Phil's gun cannot feed by gravity alone, it must have this extra pressurization.... Just remember, if you shoot high build 2k anything with that 1.8 to totally break that gun down each time you use it. Don't want to change your gun into a bookend!
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:37 am
I doubled checked with Phil before I ordered the gun. You have to use the H/O type cups. Also to anyone else that might be reading this, make sure you let Phil know that you want to use 3m pps cups and he will send you a fitting that you need for no extra charge.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b5005039031/

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:26 pm
Well, that's awesome....he did not have that set up the last time I checked. Thanks for posting that link.....I think with a lot of guys it was their last objection to using that gravity gun....

Return to Turbine Systems