Turbine Build Questions

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 12:18 am
Hi All, I've been lurking around the site for a week or so trying to learn as much as I can. I'm a beginner in auto body and paint work and this forum has been very helpful answering a lot of my questions. I tried to review and read as much as I could but apologize if I duplicate anyone's question.

I am hoping to build a 6-stage turbine sprayer following closely to 67Drops build and had a few questions:

I was planning to use a plastic tool box enclosure - would there be any concerns for warpage from heat generated from the turbine?

I saw that the turbine has two power wires - one for low speed and one for high speed -- and that most people just used the high speed. I also read that some people used a speed control with the motor. If I were to use a speed control - what would you suggest? Would a simple household dimmer switch for the unit suffice? Is a fan speed control needed or should I just run at the high speed and use a ball valve at the gun for air flow control?

I was hoping to get away with just one spray gun the Sprayfine (comes with 1.3mm needle/nozzle) and purchase an extra 1.0mm needle/nozzle. Would I need a larger needle/nozzle for epoxy primers? https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... 600ml-cup/ I've seen some posts saying multiple guns were needed - one for primer, one for base and one for clear. Is that necessary or just a suggestion to increase production?

How bad is the overspray/fumes/paint mist from the turbine units? I have a 10 wide x19 long x 9ft high garage which I would be using as a paint booth. I was planning on keeping the garage door propped up 1-2ft and a box fan in the window. I saw a few youtube videos of people spraying with turbine units in a fairly confined area with only the door propped open and no fans - with no issue.

For anyone who has built one of these - is there anything you would have done differently with your build? What is something you wish you knew before you started your build?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:12 am
Okay, let's see if we can answer some of this.....

I am hoping to build a 6-stage turbine sprayer following closely to 67Drops build and had a few questions:

I was planning to use a plastic tool box enclosure - would there be any concerns for warpage from heat generated from the turbine? So when the turbine is on air is moving quite fast through the housing kind of all over. I've used several different plastic tool boxes over the years and never had a problem....

I saw that the turbine has two power wires - one for low speed and one for high speed -- and that most people just used the high speed. I also read that some people used a speed control with the motor. If I were to use a speed control - what would you suggest? Would a simple household dimmer switch for the unit suffice? Is a fan speed control needed or should I just run at the high speed and use a ball valve at the gun for air flow control?I would just wire for high speed and use a simple garden hose valve up near the gun or at the beginning of a swivel whip. That is simple and effective for controlling air flow. Honestly, if you are mostly shooting cars you'll always be at top speed.

I was hoping to get away with just one spray gun the Sprayfine (comes with 1.3mm needle/nozzle) and purchase an extra 1.0mm needle/nozzle. Would I need a larger needle/nozzle for epoxy primers? https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... 600ml-cup/ I've seen some posts saying multiple guns were needed - one for primer, one for base and one for clear. Is that necessary or just a suggestion to increase production?Okay, so I know no one wants to hear this but I have recently quit recommending the gravity version of that gun.... I don't want to get into it here but there are just some things that are problematic. This version of that gun is fine.... https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... iphon-cup/ In mmy opinion that one gun would be fine for just about anthing. The 1.3 will work great for base and clear and I would pickup a 1.8 or higher for high build primers.

How bad is the overspray/fumes/paint mist from the turbine units? I have a 10 wide x19 long x 9ft high garage which I would be using as a paint booth. I was planning on keeping the garage door propped up 1-2ft and a box fan in the window. I saw a few youtube videos of people spraying with turbine units in a fairly confined area with only the door propped open and no fans - with no issue. When it comes to overspray reduction turbines are the king of the land. You can easily get by with what you are planning here. Most turbines are putting 90% plus of what is in that cup directly on your surface. Regular HVLP, RP, or LVLP struggle to lay down 65 to 75%.

For anyone who has built one of these - is there anything you would have done differently with your build? What is something you wish you knew before you started your build?So, I can't really comment here for the other guys that are novice builders.
All I would say is, don't over think this setup. The best builds are kept simple and if you want increased performance that is going to come from you experimenting and practicing.
[/quote]
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:03 pm
Thank you for the reply. The turbine is on it's way! I'm waiting on the Sprayfine for now because the 1.8mm/2.0mm projectors are out of stock- hopefully they come in soon and I can get everything shipped at once.

One other question on temperatures: I'm in the northeast US so average high in the winter is low-mid 40's. I read in a previous post that they turbines will still spray warm. I was planning on having my turbine outside... Is there any concern in cold weather? What are the high/low temps to worry about?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:21 pm
sirhc1210 wrote:I saw that the turbine has two power wires - one for low speed and one for high speed -- and that most people just used the high speed. I also read that some people used a speed control with the motor. If I were to use a speed control - what would you suggest? Would a simple household dimmer switch for the unit suffice? Is a fan speed control needed or should I just run at the high speed and use a ball valve at the gun for air flow control?

You could use a rheostat to control fan speed. The ball valve is smaller than the inside diameter of the hose and could be considered to be a restriction. But in reality, the ball valve works without issue. I consider less complexity to be a plus.

sirhc1210 wrote:For anyone who has built one of these - is there anything you would have done differently with your build? What is something you wish you knew before you started your build?

I built mine as cheap as I could repurposing stuff I already had. I might use a bigger box just for ease of access when building. I also used only one filter to reduce build costs. But I do see some overspray on intake grill on the side I did not use a filter. I don't think it's going to be a problem. But you might want to use filters on both intakes

DarrelK wrote:,
All I would say is, don't over think this setup. The best builds are kept simple and if you want increased performance that is going to come from you experimenting and practicing.[/b]

Just listen to DarrelK. His advice is spot on.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:40 pm
And we thank you for your support.... So as you can see just from that input things are pretty simple. Okay, I can purposefully answer that temp. question concerning the operating temp.s The "average" 3 stages or more turbine will add approximately 40 degrees of additional heat to the current ambient intake air. So, if you had a 75 degree day you would be at 115 F for example. With 45 outside you would be at an 85 degree hose output temp. Keep in mind that is with the turbine running for at least 10 minutes to build heat. So is that air temp. okay to shoot with.... well, it's not bad but 95 to 100 F. is better in my opinion so getting that intake air up to 65 to 70 would be better. In the winter we just prefer to move the turbine over to the other side of our building, crank the building temp. up to about 75 and crack a window "near" the turbine. Now from Spring, Summer,and Fall we do put it back outside.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Turbine Systems