67Drop's Homebuilt 6 Stage HVLP Turbine

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:18 pm
Thanks to a discussion with DarrelK in this thread, ttps://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=29168 ,I watched this YT video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8BtjcgxbEA&t=46s and put together my own 6-stage HVLP Turbine system.

IMG_2172.JPG

Parts List:
6-stage Motor: https://www.alliedelec.com/product/amet ... lsrc=aw.ds

Sprayfine HVLP turbine bleeder gravity gun: https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... 600ml-cup/
Hose

The gun comes with a 1.3 tip. I also ordered a 2.0 tip to spray some high build epoxy

33' hose: https://www.tptools.com/Turbine-Hose,10 ... 8044201725

I haven't picked this up yet, but I use this valve to regulate airflow: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Meta ... /203136689

I used an old tool box and other stuff I had laying around.

I only put a filter on the intake that feeds the spray gun. When the top is closed, the intakes pull air from opposite ends of the box

I haven't actually used it yet but figured I'd share it with the new Turbine Systems section of the forums

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:34 pm
Man, you are good to go! Get your valve and start spraying stuff.... Tool box worked great. And for the rest of you guys..... seriously..... does this look that hard to build? I mean, look how much money he saved on this..... I think the current Capspray 6 stage is up around $2000 or so. Huge savings and the same great system......made even better with that Sprayfine gun.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:55 am
I would definitely prefer building my own at this price. Perhaps I will watch the video again and find myself a tool box and get to it. How about a soft hose to connect the long hose to? Isn't that something you'd want to add?

Edit: I spent the night researching. I'm definitely going to build my own. There is a husky metal tool box that looks like it will fit this motor perfectly. A couple 3" filters for the intakes and a toggle switch. I tried to order the motor from allied but it asks for an ID# that isn't clear how to acquire. I sent them an email. I'll keep this thread updated as I move along as well.

This link shows the dimensions of the motor in case anyone was trying to get super precise. https://www.ametekdfs.com/-/media/ametekdfs/importdata/documents/data-sheets/12209700.pdf?la=en&revision=190891c2-f0ba-40e4-8b4d-07a1551f962f

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:02 am
Thanks for posting that.... it is current. Please note on page 2 that there is a specific "back pressure" port (hole with threads) just a few inches back from where your 3/4 inch hose connects to the turbine. You will plug that if you are going with bleeder style ( Sprayfine, Sicmo, TP Tools, etc.) guns but would need to put a screw in barb fitting for a small hose if you are going non-bleeder on your gun (Capspray, Amante, newer Fuji, etc.). Also, this unit is a 2 speed supposedly to ad more versatility in "what" it can shoot. We prefer to just put ours on high and use an air valve just under our gun handle for more control. The idea behind the 2 speed is that low is like a 4 stage turbine output and high is the full 6 stage output......
Oh, and almost forgot...... make sure your swtich is rated for 15 amps......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:52 pm
DarrelK wrote:Thanks for posting that.... it is current. Please note on page 2 that there is a specific "back pressure" port (hole with threads) just a few inches back from where your 3/4 inch hose connects to the turbine. You will plug that if you are going with bleeder style ( Sprayfine, Sicmo, TP Tools, etc.) guns but would need to put a screw in barb fitting for a small hose if you are going non-bleeder on your gun (Capspray, Amante, newer Fuji, etc.). Also, this unit is a 2 speed supposedly to ad more versatility in "what" it can shoot. We prefer to just put ours on high and use an air valve just under our gun handle for more control. The idea behind the 2 speed is that low is like a 4 stage turbine output and high is the full 6 stage output......
Oh, and almost forgot...... make sure your swtich is rated for 15 amps......

Thank you for the details. I did notice three wires and didn’t clue in immediately. When you say air valve are you talking about the adjustable valve linked in the first post? Also tptools sells a flexible hose in small spans. Is that worth adding or is the 33’ hose soft enough not to cause issues? Last question. Is there any value to using a sound deadening material inside the case to make it more quiet?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:34 pm
So, yes, the air valve is simply a garden hose shutoff that was referred to in that post.... So the "flexy" hose section is referred to as a "whip" section that can be helpful because of it's extra flex near the gun. It is not really needed, just kind of an extra helper thing. Whenever I shoot I usually have a "hose manager" person about 10 feet back from me. Turbine hoses are significantly larger and harder to move at times compared to air compressor hoses.
Okay, so sound deadening material... it's a mixed bag...the extra insulative qualities are going to also want to keep "heat" in the turbine box which is bad. I do not run any insulation in mine however I also prefer to use tool boxes made of plastic rather than metal which seems to absorb quite a bit of the noise. Honestly, though these new 6 stage turbines are very quiet compared to older 4 stage units. Keep in mind too.... if you are like me, you will probably end up setting the turbine box just outside the building.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:05 pm
DarrelK wrote:So, yes, the air valve is simply a garden hose shutoff that was referred to in that post.... So the "flexy" hose section is referred to as a "whip" section that can be helpful because of it's extra flex near the gun. It is not really needed, just kind of an extra helper thing. Whenever I shoot I usually have a "hose manager" person about 10 feet back from me. Turbine hoses are significantly larger and harder to move at times compared to air compressor hoses.
Okay, so sound deadening material... it's a mixed bag...the extra insulative qualities are going to also want to keep "heat" in the turbine box which is bad. I do not run any insulation in mine however I also prefer to use tool boxes made of plastic rather than metal which seems to absorb quite a bit of the noise. Honestly, though these new 6 stage turbines are very quiet compared to older 4 stage units. Keep in mind too.... if you are like me, you will probably end up setting the turbine box just outside the building.

Wow. Thanks for the clarification. Plastic box. That makes it all more affordable. I was wondering about the sound deadening and I think I agree to set the box outside. I can’t seem to get a hold of the company to set up an id to order that turbine. Any pointers on how to reach them?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:56 pm
Okay, that is odd. No one has told me that they have had any problems getting those units nor have they had to use any special ID to get them.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:06 am
I didn't need any special ID when I bought mine in March. I just placed an online order from the link I provided. Did it on a Friday and received it Wednesday.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:33 am
My bad guys. Idk what was going on when I was trying the other night. Got it sorted and ordered. I’ll start piecing it together. Darrel what do you think about the Fuji gun instead of the sprayfine? I only consider it because I’m in Canada and it may be cheaper and less hassle than getting the sprayfine over the border.
Next

Return to Turbine Systems