My Turbine Rig

Hosted by our own DarrelK - the place to learn about Turbine spray systems.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:10 pm
Turbine spraying is what turned me on to this site.
I think it's cool there is dedicated forum for turbine products and whatnot.
I bought my 5-stage turbine unit from a place down in TN and made the unit with some shop vac filters, air blow-off valve from Mc Master-Carr and 3/4" garden hose
The garden hose was a PIA and talking with my uncle that I borrowed the 3-stage Capsray system to paint the AMC >>>> he said just take mine >>>> so I did.
Now I have a real turbine compatible hose.

Here are some pictures of my rig.

I whipped up this crappy box with some left-over plywood, added an air vent for the motor air exhaust, some shop vac filters and made an adapter for the hose to connect to the turbine outlet

I had been using a couple of guns from Titan

https://spraywell.com/titan-524052-caps ... lgQAvD_BwE

I love the way they spray, but the cups are junk.
They are made of plastic and twist to close and after a bunch of use >>>> they don't seal well.

I thought to try and replace the cups and found that the replacement cups on the Sprayfine site that fit the bill perfectly on the Titan guns.

https://www.turbineproducts.com/600-ml- ... -assembly/

I also thought to get one of the bleeder guns they have and used it to spray the base on the nose, doors, fenders and hood and love it.

https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... 600ml-cup/

I used it to spray a second coat of clear on the TA project and feel like I have to get used to it a bit more.
I like being able to adjust the air flow on the Titan guns and did not think to use a flow valve like noted on another thread with the bleeder.
I still have the hood to do with another coat of clear so I will try one then

Here are some more pictures of the turbine unit as it follows me from my cousin's shop to mine spraying stuff.

I shot the R-M Camaro and the '79 TA with it so far.

JT

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:32 pm
So, cool.....I love these homemade rigs. Nothing against the big players in the field but you have to admit except for the motor itself these units are fairly simple. There are a lot of used hoses floating around out there. Personally, I've just been using a heavy duty garden hose with a 5 foot flexy whip section just before the gun. In our wood shop we are using a type of spa hose which seems to stabilize temps. well, again with a flexy whip on it....
Sounds like you are figuring out stuff as you go along. Thanks for posting the pic.s....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:25 pm
Thanks Darrel

I resurrected my TA project thread with the latest results

JT

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:18 am
So I had not bounced over to that thread in a few..... WOW! That thing looks awesome. You obviously have your guns and system pretty dialed in to achieve that level of work. If you are getting those kind of results with those materials/colors you'll have no problems in the future.
It's funny about turbine systems. Guys just don't believe we can do this..... I had a former Chrysler paint engineering guy looking at pic.s of my truck conversion the other day. He asked me what kind of booth I did it in and if I was using Iwata or higher end equipment. Nope, no pro booth and I was using a turbine system. He was absolutely shocked. He asked if I could consistently shoot the chameleon pearl.... Why sure, I've got the formuala written down. He said there biggest problems before he retired was getting batches with their different variants to look alike coming out of the factory....... It was really fascinating to talk to him.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:38 am
@RamblerRacer Thanks for sharing your turbine build. I searched autobody101 for projects sprayed with turbine systems. And seeing what you a were able to do with yours was reassuring.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:33 am
@67Drop
I’m glad that my thread could help you as others like Darrell’s did for me.
It is what forums like this are all about
I have also steered friends and folk from other sites here since it so helpful

Return to Turbine Systems