Air Dryer FIlter Setup

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:47 pm
Hey guys, probably should have checked here first but not the first time I did something dumb.

I got this filter setup for my compressor

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y4183M7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got good ratings, doesn't leak or anything, but the dessicant bowl is too small I think.

My beads turned pink after about three uses. I am in Texas and it's 100 degrees here and humid but still.

I did a search and found recommendations for this Devilbiss unit

https://www.amazon.com/DeVilbiss-DV130026-Desiccant-Dryer-DEV-DAD500/dp/B000VNFU06/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=devilbiss+air+dryer+system&qid=1659894269&sprefix=devilbiss+air+d%2Caps%2C117&sr=8-4

But since at this point I'm going to paint a hood and a bumper and that's about all, for NOW, I'd rather not drop 1k on a filter setup.

At some point I MIGHT paint a whole car but that's going to be far far in the future if at all.

I did find an interesting filter here

https://www.steelcamel.com/store/p10/compressed-air-filter-kit.html

Apparently that's got some pretty good reviews.

Anyway. My thought at this point was to get the steel camel filter, and put it in front of my current 3-filter setup and hopefully that would be enough?

Or is there another system I should be considering that doesn't cost over 1k?

Thanks for any help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:39 pm
With where you are at a much bigger question is how is the rest of your system configured? You need to be running quite a bit of pipe right after your compressor to "crack" that moisture out long before it gets to any other filtration. Temp.s have fall so the moisture drops out and can be routed to a drain....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:54 pm
I have basically the same setup as you but I use PneumaticPlus followed by a Devilbiss QC3.

Earlier this year I installed a new compressor and took the time to install a pipe system shown below. Since this photo, I have installed auto-drains at each of the yellow circles. When running, the third auto-drain usually does not have any moisture in it.

By the time the air gets to my QC3, it is very dry and my desiccant has not needed to be changed out.

How far is it from your compressor to your air filtration system?
Air Wall.jpg

Compressor - Rapidair Piping - Autodrains.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:07 am
Do you see all that pipe he has run?.............. Especially with those drains?......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That is what i am talking about...... The "system" needs to get the moisture collected and out before it hits your filtration.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:13 am
I have a DIY aftercooler coming from my pump to a radiator and automatic water separator.

It then runs 10 feet up my wall and then another 7 across the ceiling and then about four feet down (into my loft area) with a drop.

Then it goes into the filter system and back down the same route, just back to the compressor where there is another drop before it goes into my line.

So I've got a lot of distance between my compressor and where the filters are.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:24 am
Pics
Attachments
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0661.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:25 am
last one
Attachments
IMG_0664.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:03 pm
If you were anywhere else but in the heat of Texas that all looks pretty good..... I think you may need a refrigerated aftercooler plumbed into your set up..... Filters are more about isolating contamination and "some"moisture. You've got to get that moisture handled or at least manageable first....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:00 pm
Thanks for the reply man... I thought everyone just left :)

So for NOW... I've ordered a motorguard toilet roll filter setup to put before my dessicant.

I figure with the amount of painting I'm doing that should be fine. I'm not planning to spray anything until it gets cooler here... friggin 100 degrees out today.

So I figure maybe in the fall when the temps get down I'll hopefully have better luck.

I'm doing a bumper and a hood so if I do have issues at least I won't have wasted too much paint... at least that's my thinking?

I don't have a place for a refrigerated dryer... or at least a very good place... plus those suckers are expensive.

But if it comes to it I'll go down that road... just hope it doesn't come to it.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:37 pm
Imatk wrote:...I don't have a place for a refrigerated dryer... or at least a very good place... plus those suckers are expensive...

If you have room to add more compressed airline loops with water separators/auto drains, I think that would be worth trying. I am also glad to see that you are using copper. DON'T use PVC. As you can see in my photos, I used the RapidAir system, I really like their stuff as I live in CA and copper pipe might as well be made out of gold.

Also, you could add an expansion tank again with a bottom feed auto-drain prior to your desiccant. It has been a while since my college engineering days but with constant flow (Q) and reduced pressure, the temp will drop.

I had made one for my air wall, then screwed up the stainless threads while (trying to) install it. It wasn't all that big, just a five gallon air tank mounted vertically.

Good luck!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies