Your opinions on garage booth requested

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 12:28 pm
Hi all. First time painting the whole exterior in one-go. So far my experience painting as been outside. Have painted everything (interior urethane, sealer, primer) from bare metal so I have some experience thus far, first time painting the whole exterior.

I looked into a local paint booth rental, but being my first time and the two-tone I was concerned about transporting all the materials, time in the booth, feeling rushed etc. I also don’t have a trailer so the car will need to be assembled. Driving a race car on the freeway 15 miles isn’t exactly a relaxing experience haha. Attached is an example of the two tone I have in mind. Paint and urethane sealer are in-hand. I plan to seal 15 min before base so the orange metallic takes more consistently with fewer coats.

I looked into the cost effective awnings out there for an exterior booth, but they appear to be only 10’ wide. I think I need at least 12’ wide to kneel down to the lower panels, and my garage can accommodate. Plan is to clean and organize the garage for the space, and use the existing exposed beams as scaffolding for the plastic. Two large fans for negative pressure fume extraction, and 2-3 large HVAC filters for make-up air. Crossflow. Compressor will be placed outside.

Question: I still won’t have enough room to paint the hood and hatch off the vehicle. I hear the vertical panels should be painted while on the car to accommodate the metalic settling.

Should I paint and clear the chassis first, roll it out, the. Paint the hood and hatch separately? Technically the doors, front fenders (which are half the car length) can all be removed and painted separately if I wanted. I could certainly get the edges and jams better that way, but I’m worried about the metallic orange matching panels.

Any other tips/thoughts on the garage booth?

I’m using Speedokote sealer and Chrysler white base coat. Speedokote glamour clear. Metallic orange is Malibu Subset by Eastwood (probably re-brand).
Attachments
C7BCF33B-C5AC-45FE-B60D-98AB17178BBF.jpeg
C7BCF33B-C5AC-45FE-B60D-98AB17178BBF.jpeg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
3ECB03E8-8B96-4EB6-AC78-8AA725E90700.jpeg
A634F07A-2BB1-4F74-94C9-1DCC510FD336.jpeg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:56 pm
search.php?keywords=Paint+Booth&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 pm
Man that is one full garage,Id spend a weekend just getting rid of all the stuff so you have some room.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 am
Yes, that is the idea. Figured I wouldn't bore you with those details.
Already cleaned/removed/sold about 1/2 of what you see since last week.

Return to Tools and Supplies