Sharpe detail gun question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:10 pm
I've never used anything smaller than a regular gun. For any of you that have used a detail gun, do you think its out of the question to primer/sealer/base/clear a whole car with one? Im thinking about this HVLP gun with a 1.4 fluid tip.

http://www.sharpe1.com/special.htm

Ill maily be painting full bumpers or both bumpers at the maximum. Would it even work for this?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:41 pm
Well, if you want to talk about what's theoretically possible, then I'll tell you how to paint a bus with an airbrush. Apply your primer with a brush or roller, and use a waterborne urethane or acrylic for your base coat as it's more forgiving when you don't wet out coats and leave a huge recoat window. After that's done mix up your clear about a pint at a time, keep refilling your 3oz jar as you go. Start applying it like normal, but when you get to the point where your flash tiem is reached on your first pass, go back and recoat what you just did, but each time you go back start a little bit further ahead. Time it so that any one area gets however many coats you want, and just keep moving along. After about 6,000,000 hours of mind numbing labour you're done, now buff it and you have a show quality finish!

So yeah, a detail gun will paint a whole car fine, panel paint when possible. Doing bumpers with a detail gun is a walk in the park, I'd almost rather use a detail gun than full size.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:27 pm
Hey, I've used an airbrush on a school bus before! Several times!

OK, I was fixing the lettering on the side and not painting the whole thing although I have done a couple of them with a 1 quart Binks and lots of refills.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:03 pm
Ok so to do a bus i need a toothbrush for the primer...ya ya ya and a nib file for sanding :lol:

Ok, well its hard to tell the size of the Sharpe detail gun from the picture. It looks bigger than normal detail guns, but again, its hard to tell really. I better post a question on Dr. Gun's forums....SO I CAN GET SOME REAL HELP! :lol: :wink:

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:35 am
The detailed description for the Gravity feed says it has a 4 ounce cup. Abarrents comments are pretty much right on. Yes, you could. No, you shouldn't.
You are welcome to go ask Dr. Gun, maybe he will be more gentile with you.
By the way, Sharpe has introduced a new, low-priced line of guns. The name escapes me right now but I saw a package deal advertised for about $150 that included a detail gun and a full sized gun. If you are looking to buy and the budget is tight, you may want to consider that.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:32 am
Big Jim wrote:The detailed description for the Gravity feed says it has a 4 ounce cup. Abarrents comments are pretty much right on. Yes, you could. No, you shouldn't.
You are welcome to go ask Dr. Gun, maybe he will be more gentile with you.
By the way, Sharpe has introduced a new, low-priced line of guns. The name escapes me right now but I saw a package deal advertised for about $150 that included a detail gun and a full sized gun. If you are looking to buy and the budget is tight, you may want to consider that.

The new gun line is called Sharpe Finex
I bought mine from auto
http://www.spraygundepot.com/scripts/de ... otgate.bbx

Heres some more links to those sharpe guns:
http://autotoolmart.automated-shops.com ... 4257692.fd

http://www.autobodysource.com/pdf/july_aug2004/shp.pdf

Return to Tools and Supplies