oh no now what?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:12 pm
I sprayed my epoxy primer on Monday using a new paint gun and the first round was super smooth and slick but on round two it started spitting chunks of paint out in spatter type pieces. I think it was because it was 100+ and between filling the cup back up the paint in the gun itself was trying to dry and once I sprayed for a few seconds it would smooth back out to normal. Does that sound like a reasonable cause or what would cause it to do this? I am going to wait to do any additional spraying until the temp comes down some. Any ideas or advise is appreciated.

thanks,
AD

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:41 am
could very wellbe it started drying/curing in the gun and pluggered it up a bit. i had the same problem 2nd time shooting epoxy.
when i shoot epoxy with an induction time, i only mix enough for one coat at a time.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:28 am
Just curious but what brand of epoxy are you using?
I spray in high temps all the time here in Arizona and haven't had any troubles like you are describing. With 2k primers you can get some build on the outside of the cap that will plug off the small air holes. I just wipe it off with thinner or reducer.
Another thing that will cause spitting is if the tip is not tightly seated.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 3:40 pm
Sorry for the long delay in response 68' R/T but I just seen I hadn't answered your question
on this I was about to order some more epoxy for a new project i'm working on. But what I used was from TCP online and it was I believe this one:
Restoration Shop
White Epoxy Primer/Sealer 2.1 VOC (Gallon Kit) Anti-Corrosive DTM High-Performance Primer for Automotive and Industrial use Kit = 2 Qt. Epoxy Primer + 2 Qt. Epoxy Hardener (1-1 Mix
I topped that one with a restoration shop (Sherwin Williams made from what I read) base
coat with a Kustom Shop premium clear and my niece has the car now and that paint has
held up great it still looks as good as the day I painted it. So I am impressed by those
products.

Dave

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:40 pm
primer/epoxy dose not really smooth out, it simply gets dual giving the appearance of smoothing out.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Tools and Supplies