Fuji mini mite 3 - good setup for auto painting?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:49 am
I am seriously considering a Fuji mini mite 3 to use for a couple automotive paint\body projects. I have read a lot on here and other websites about these turbine systems.

I plan to spray epoxy primers, 2k primers, single stage urethanes, base coat\clear coats. Is the mini mite 3 and the gun it comes with a good choice? Any other better suggestions for under $600?

Also, I have read that nozzle sizes on turbine systems should be a bit smaller than what is recommended for regular hvlp. For example 1.0 for base coat rather than 1.4. Is this true? What sizes should I get?

Thanks in advance!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:00 pm
onboost wrote:I am seriously considering a Fuji mini mite 3 to use for a couple automotive paint\body projects. I have read a lot on here and other websites about these turbine systems.

I plan to spray epoxy primers, 2k primers, single stage urethanes, base coat\clear coats. Is the mini mite 3 and the gun it comes with a good choice? Any other better suggestions for under $600?

Also, I have read that nozzle sizes on turbine systems should be a bit smaller than what is recommended for regular hvlp. For example 1.0 for base coat rather than 1.4. Is this true? What sizes should I get?

Thanks in advance!

I have an high-end American Turbine with remote tank. The air gets very hot. I've used it for spraying conversion varnish onto cabinet doors for years with great results, but I think I've read on this forum that the hot air is not good for auto painting. That would seem to make sense. You'd be atomizing the paint with hot air. I decided not to use mine and bought a good spray gun instead.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:42 pm
Thanks for the reply natemoore, much appreciated.

I have heard about the heat issue but my understanding is that I can counter that (at least somewhat) by using the slower reducers/activators. I also read that it is possible to add some extra hose and perhaps submerge some hose in a bucket of ice water (hopefully I can just get away with the slower reducers/activators).

My understanding is that a good 3 stage turbine should be enough and that the Fuji guns are good but just wanted to be sure before I take the plunge on this mini mite 3 kit.

I think the mini mite 4 comes with the same gun as the 3 stage but I think right now the under $600 budget would be better unless I would really need the 4 stage.

Any more feedback would be very greatly appreciated.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:41 pm
Okay, the heat thing really isn't that big of a problem and can definitely be easily controlled. Newer turbines are using different materials for their turbine blades so there is less of a heating effect in most designs. Even if you do have some extra heat just placing the turbine in a cooler area helps and you can put even simple ice freezer packs by the intakes which will give you plenty of shooting time.
As for 3 or 4 stages choice.... More stages means more pressure which really does help with atomization but if you are working in a budget its' still not that critical. A 4 stage does allow you to handle the 2k primers better but I'm not a big believer in using turbine based guns for those primers anyway. I just keep a cheap 2.2 regular compressed air gun around for that stuff.
You'll be fine with Fuji. My built-in shop systems use the same turbines as their 4 stage.... heavy duty ball bearing design motor with stout brushes, decent noise levels, etc. The 3 stage uses the same American designed motor. Sprayfine has also recently offered a dandy 4 stage unit in that price range.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sprayfine-A401- ... m462b3e53d
He would probably swap out the cup under for his gravity cup on that for a few bucks and also figure out your hose length.
As for tips, start with what comes the basic system and go from there. You may indeed want to go down on the tip size for base, etc., but it is not always the case with every system. Hope this helps some....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:03 am
Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated. I will look into the sprayfine setups.

Regarding spraying the 2k primers, I'm thinking it would be best to have a separate gun for primers any way. I do have a compressor fed gun that I was previously using for primer anyway so I would likely just keep using that as you suggested. It would be pretty awesome to be able to spray the primers as well with the small turbine rather than having to break out the compressor as well.

So, you don't think a 3 stage would be enough for primers? Is there a cheap gun that I can buy for turbine use so I can dedicate it to primer duty?

Thanks again !

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 am
It is more than just a 3 or 4 stage debate with 2k high build primers. In my opinion, it is just that those materials are more "sensitive" to the warm air that the turbines produce and there is also the low pressure available to pressurize the cup. Even a 4 stage doesn't handle those primers as good as a cheap compressed air gun. There really is no such thing as a "better" turbine gun for these primers, it is the limitation of the turbine itself.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 pm
Thanks for the explanation... Makes perfect sense. So if I get a good 3 stage and use my air driven primer gun I should be fine for what I'd like to do. Thank you again for clearing all this stuff up for me. :worthy:

I contacted the folks at sprayfine but it looks like they no longer offer a gravity feed gun, only an adapter for their siphon gun. I think I might just purchase the sprayfine turbine and buy my own gravity feed gun. Is there a good gravity feed gun that I could buy new for $200 or less that you could recommend?

Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:29 am
Buddy of mine has that "U" shaped adapter and says it works fine with that gun. He does a lot of helmets and car accessories after he's done his airbrush art stuff. If you want a more dedicated gravity gun go here....
http://www.tptools.com/TP-Tools-ProLine ... l?b=d*8051
Tp is essentially selling somewhat of a clone of the old Sicmo guns which is a good thing.
You can also shop over here... www.american-turbine.com
There may be some left over Sicmo guns there as well as clones. Price it out.....
Both companies have been around for quite some time so additional parts/tips should be available.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:05 pm
Hey, I don't know if you go to ebay but you should look at this....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuji-Mini-Mite- ... 6696&rt=nc

That is one gun body with BOTH interchangble cups. There is not much hose there but that's an easy fix with spa hose they sell at home depot. Keep in mind that turbine motors rarely fail and can go 50,000 or more hours with little more than changing the brushes.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:40 am
That was a great deal! Wish I would have seen your post sooner.

I have been looking at all the options and I think I'm getting closer to a decision. Basically, I'm between the Sprayfine 3 stage or the Fuji 3 stage.

One thing I've read a couple times was regarding thinning of the materials in order to spray properly through these turbine systems. I am wondering if with either of these 3 stage units I will have to thin out the base coat, clear coat, or single stage? I really would prefer to mix as per the manufacturer specs. Will I have to worry about thinning out the materials if I stick to just base coat, clear coat, single stage with the turbine? Primers I will spray with my compressor based gun, like we talked about.

Thanks
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies