convertible turbine spray gun question?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:33 pm
I have an Accuspray 10G turbine spray gun. After much messing with it I finally got it to work fair on small parts but the turbine gets too hot on larger areas. The paint/clear goes on too dry and does not flow. I had the turbine in a box with lots of ice. So, anyway I have given up on the turbine. The only thing I like about it is the high transfer rate and low overspray.
My actual question applies to the gun only. It is a convertible gun which when used with an adapter can be ran off an air compressor. Has anyone ever used this set up? I am curious if it has a higher transfer rate/ low overspray than a conventional gun? My turbine only puts out 6.5psi, with the air compressor I can run it up to 10psi @ the tip.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:46 pm
The coatings should lay down better however you will have less efficient transfer than with the turbine. Based on what I've tinkered with on these type of conversion guns in the past is they will shoot like a middle of the road quality HVLP gun when changed over for compressed air.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:31 am
Thanks Darrel, I figured it was too good to be true.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:00 pm
Yeah, it's just kind of the same old story with gun design.... If a gun tries to "crossover" and be some type of dual purpose unit it does not do justice to either methodology.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies