3" da sander

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:39 am
i've searched but found nothing on the Festool Lex line

my question, specifically, is whether anyone has any real world experience to know how it holds up against comparable mirka 3" da palm sanders (or 6") for the following:

small repair work - for example patching fiberglass in a vette, taking paint, primer down, feathering out, spot rust fixing, and general paint finishing work

thanks in advance for any input!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:59 am
are you using Festool vacum system ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 am
Yes

I assume I could use it in manual with the mirka??

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:50 am
Dave/All

I assume you ask the question b/c already having invested in FT dust extraction, that would push toward FT?

if i am assuming correct (and it makes sense) 2 questions:

can the mirka be run on the FT vac?

assuming it can (or even if it can't), what is the difference, pros/cons, of tool to tool?

FT obviously has an amazing reputation on electric motor equipment...and from what i can tell WOOD (which is why i have the vac system and some of their tools

but seems pretty new to automobile and brand new to the pneumatic game - whereas mirka has played in that space a long time - that is why i am wondering how the new ft pneumatics stack up to them

hope that helps to generate some feedback

thanks again

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:31 pm
FT recently teamed up with 3M to tackle the automotive side of things.

3M clean sand works great. as far as others i cant say.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:58 pm
Indeed they did - i'll try to find out more

3M and Festool Announce Strategic Collaboration to Serve Automotive Collision Repair Industry

Monday, February 29, 2016
ST. PAUL, Minn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 3M Company and TTS Tooltechnic Systems AG & Co. KG, maker of Festool brand products, today announced a strategic collaboration to provide customers in the global automotive collision repair industry a new and comprehensive surface preparation and finishing system. The collaboration brings together 3M’s best-in-class abrasives, global sales and distribution capabilities with Festool-branded premium power tools, dust extraction technologies and exceptional customer service to deliver a comprehensive portfolio of offerings to customers in the automotive aftermarket.

As part of the strategic collaboration, 3M’s Automotive Aftermarket Division (AAD) will eventually become the exclusive supplier of 3M and Festool Automotive Systems products in the automotive aftermarket. The new system is expected to launch in the U.S. and Canada later in 2016, with additional countries to be announced at a later date.

The new system responds to the increasing demand from customers in the automotive collision repair industry for highly efficient, all-in-one dust extraction solutions that support the ongoing need from customers to maintain cleaner, more efficient and profitable shops.

“Our collaboration with Festool Automotive Systems combines 3M’s leadership in abrasives technologies and Festool´s premium power tools, dust extraction technologies and service to deliver customers an unparalleled solution for complete dust extraction needs,” said Laurie Altman, Vice President and General Manager, 3M’s Automotive Aftermarket Division. “With this agreement, customers in the automotive aftermarket will now have access to one of the most comprehensive portfolios of offerings in the industry from one provider.”

“We are proud to enter into this collaboration with 3M to offer a premium surface treatment system for body shops,” said Christian Oltzscher, Chief Sales Officer, TTS Tooltechnic Systems AG & Co. KG. “With the combined world-class portfolios of tools and abrasives, and the expertise and extensive distribution capabilities of 3M sales and service professionals, we will be able to serve customers in the automotive aftermarket even better. Our goal is to make body shops more profitable.”

3M’s Automotive Aftermarket Division spans the globe, serving the automotive collision repair industry through more than 70 subsidiaries. 3M AAD has deep industry knowledge and maintains extensive relationships with collision-repair professionals. In collaboration with Festool Automotive Systems, 3M will now offer its customers an even stronger value. 3M best-in-class abrasives innovation, including new 3M™ Cubitron™ II Abrasives, will now be offered in conjunction with premium Festool Automotive Systems surface prep tools, dust extraction capabilities and services, creating one of the most effective and comprehensive surface preparation and finishing systems in the automotive collision repair industry.

For 90 years, Festool has been a manufacturer of premium power tools for the most demanding applications. With a well-earned reputation for innovation and quality, Festool makes power tools widely considered the best in the automotive repair marketplace, including pneumatic and electric sanders, polishers and backup pads, vacuums and surface-prep workstations. Beyond its existing products, Festool continues to develop a new line of connected “smart tools” to power the future of collision repair.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:13 pm
yeah im sure you could use it manual. but why not just use the 3M purple ? its much better paper and will last longer

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Tools and Supplies