Starting from scratch in new garage-air supply options?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:34 am
I sold my house in Pittsburgh this past summer. I had black pipe coming from my compressor, set up properly with unions and water drains prior to a really nice air dryer. When I took it apart to move I was really surprised how much flash rust there was inside the pipe. I'm starting from scratch at my other house in Cleveland, and I'm wondering what you guys like these days. I've of course read about the plastic pipe from Eastwood and other places. I want quality stuff. I do this for fun, and I have paint projects on a regular basis. If you were in my shoes, and starting again, what piping do you use? Thanks!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:33 pm
I use copper, it's safer than plastic and dissipates heat better.
Easy to solder the joints. I joined (4) 10' sections before the filters.
Works real good.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:24 pm
If you've got a blank slate for setting up your air system I would go heavy duty copper as well. Pretty easy to plumb. Take your time and lay it out well for your needs and definitely go hi flow fittings. I see a lot of guys take the time to have decent diameter piping only to choke it down at the points of use with cheap restrictive fittings.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 pm
Just regular old 3/4 copper like you'd use in your house? I had no idea it could hold 150 pounds of air pressure. Do you use a specific type of solder? Like I said before I was really surprised at how much rust was inside my black pipe. I don't want to go that route again.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:41 pm
I do indeed recommend 3/4 inch copper but I'm just not a big believer in what the big box hardware stores sell. The stuff I can get at a plumbing supply house is definitely thicker walled and stiffer. Again, while there I'd pickup their premium grade flux/solder. One of the guys just north of me wasn't even using solder....he was using Gator or Shark connectors. Not real sure about that method but he wanted things so he could easily take things down and reconfigure or move the system.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:49 pm
Okay, just wanted to make sure I was telling you correctly on that... Yes, there is a K, L, or M series copper pipe. K is the heavier duty stuff you want. L is a thinner walled copper mostly carried in the larger hardware stores. M is even thinner and is a special applications pipe which can be buried.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:28 pm
DarrelK wrote:I do indeed recommend 3/4 inch copper but I'm just not a big believer in what the big box hardware stores sell. The stuff I can get at a plumbing supply house is definitely thicker walled and stiffer. Again, while there I'd pickup their premium grade flux/solder. One of the guys just north of me wasn't even using solder....he was using Gator or Shark connectors. Not real sure about that method but he wanted things so he could easily take things down and reconfigure or move the system.
Shark Bite is an amazing product. A little pricey, but when I used it to re plumb 2 bathrooms at my Pittsburgh house I was very impressed. It can withstand 250-300 psi if I remember correctly. And, for someone who doesn't solder on a regular basis, a real time saver. Plus, it doesn't leak, and is easy to take apart. I think your idea of thicker wall 3/4 inch plus Shark Bite sounds like a plan. Thanks!! :worthy:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:33 pm
Yeah, I think you'd be okay on those. Supposedly you just have to watch about overly saturating one of those joints with oil but I've never heard or read of any failures concerning that. If joined correctly I can't see that happening anyway. Even if a fitting moved/blew it still would be a "safe" blowout.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:57 pm
Ok, an update to my own question. I was roaming around the internet looking for Shark Bite info, related to air supply. Long story short, I ended up back at the Eastwood site. They make a complete 100 foot 3/4 inch kit for $209.00. I watched a video showing an install, and it got a 5 star rating from several guys. My experiences with Eastwood have always been good, and I can't imagine they would sell anything not up to par. I like the idea that they are selling a pipe specifically designed for air delivery. It is plastic inside and out, sandwiched with aluminum for strength. I can't imagine I could piece together a system like this for less money. Plus, it looks good, if that matters to anyone. Check it out.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:21 am
Let us know how it goes... looking at doing the same thing here in the next year or so.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies