Candy Concentrate: Powdered Versus Liquid???

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:52 am
I have been using powdered candy concentrate from Didspade for a couple of years now. I have done several small projects just figuring out how to use an airbrush, fades, shading, templates, how to get that 3D look. So far this powdered stuff has been great for the learning process as it is inexpensive, mixes easy enough, and I haven’t experienced any fading. But… my projects have not been exposed to the sun much, so resistance to fading remains a question.

My next project is a complete motorcycle. I’ve been working on ideas and sketches for probably 6 months already. I don’t want to spend 6 months airbrushing something fantastic in candy over metal flake just to have it fade and look like crap in 6 months. That would suck.

So…. From what I have read the color fastness of candy has more to do with the UV protection of the clear over it. Is there any truth to this? Anyone have long term experience with powdered candy concentrate? Or should I just pony up the $500 to get the 9 colors of liquid concentrate I would need from HOK, SEM, or similar?

Any input is appreciated.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:45 am
Bob the color fastness will depend on both color of the Kandy and the UV of the clear.
personaly never used powder kandy.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:18 pm
Well, I can comment on just a few things here. Pretty much like you BeoBob I've only used the dry pearl, flake, candies, etc., for the special effects I've done with ghost flames, 3D, lightning storms, marbelizing, etc.... Most of my stuff came from Paintwithpearl.com and innate.com I've have had a chance to see at least 3 projects just recently that I did 3, 5, and about 8 years ago. My effects were done in both water based Auto Air (also did use Auto Air liquid candies) and just regular intercoat clears. I always made sure to bury my stuff in a premium grade UV resistant clear. All looked to be holding up pretty well, but I don't have anyway of knowing just how much they were garaged over the years. If anything, I did notice more of a "color shift" in the Auto Air liquid candies compared to the other dry candies which were mixed in the intercoat carrier. Trust me, to me this doesn't really show anything definitively as I just don't know what the exposure/maintenance history was like on these vehicles once they were sold.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 am
Most of my paint work is done with custom paints, not OEM colors. I have always used HOK, at least since my lacquer days of using Metalflake brand paint. I've never used the powdered stuff. But I can attest to the quality of HOK materials I've used. Some of my Candy jobs are over 30 years old and still look good, My own 55 Olds, in Candy Cobalt has some fading on the top surfaces, as it spent a lot of time in the sun during the summer, and spent a year and a half outside, uncovered. Granted most jobs are kept inside, and pampered, but some look almost brand new.
My take on it is: if you are putting so much time and labor into the prep work, why not use the best materials on top?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 am
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the "brand name" stuff because of reputation. Just not liking the price tag.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:19 am
Bob what color do you need ?

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:33 am
I will need all of the basic colors... red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, and brown. I could narrow it down to red, yellow, blue, and black. But having more base colors will allow me to more easily and consistently mix whatever color and shade I want.

I just found 2oz. bottles of the HOK KK stuff for about $20 each from TCP Global. Need to order a couple of colors to see how intense they are and how they mix. I have read that HOK candies bleed. Need to see what that's all about.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am
No HOK black candy. I've used thined out base... not even close to what candy does.

Anyone heard of Alsa? Thoughts on their candy concentrate?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm
I've got some Alsa black candy concentrate I've used on a few jobs. Works fine, don't know about colorfastness, or longevity, only been a couple years. I got it when it was the only black candy available.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm
BeoBob wrote:No HOK black candy. I've used thined out base... not even close to what candy does.

Anyone heard of Alsa? Thoughts on their candy concentrate?

this works fine. its what we do

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Tools and Supplies