Seam sealer recommendation?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:13 pm
Hey guys:

I recently acquired a 1988 Monte Carlo SS that leaks water in the rain and when washing the car. Apparently GM used a seam sealer on these cars that has a tendency to get brittle and crack and/or fall out in big chunks. I believe the offending seams are in various places on the firewall (common G-body problem).

Can someone recommend a seam sealer product to use for this? I am willing to spend the money on a quality product because I only want to do this once.

Thanks in advance!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:52 pm
I like the Lord Fusor 800EZ. You can get this in tubes that fit a regular size caulking gun.
They also carry a Direct to Metal version 800 DTM
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:42 pm
Perfect-thank you!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:29 pm
If you don't mind a follow-up, what's the difference between one-component sealers and two-component sealers? Are they used for different purposes? When would a person choose one over the other?

That's probably a noob question but I'm new to body and paint work.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:53 pm
1k simply means one component and usually references a product that air dries/cures.
2k or two component products reference the use of a catalyst to chemically cure/harden.

The newer urethane based 1k sealers are much better that those that came before but they still require time to cure properly before painting over them.

The 2k sealers require a special applicator and are a step up IMHO since they will cure in a much shorter time. They are also said to be more resistant to water, chemicals, etc.

That being said, I have used the Lord Fusor 800EZ on a number of projects and never had shrinking, cracking or poor adhesion. I apply it over epoxy primed metal when doing restorations and give it plenty of time to cure.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:36 pm
When building kit cars where I actually have to graft metal to fiberglass I will always go to Fusor products and have gotten great tech. assistance from Lord corp. on how I was using their stuff. Never had a bonding failure yet.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:43 am
Thanks guys, very helpful.

Return to Tools and Supplies