Leaking SATAJet 2000 RP without trigger

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 am
my friend from SATA will be here first thing in the morning, had to go way across town today
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:57 pm
Sounds good man. I appreciate it. I actually took the parts from the kit out, and installed it in another NR2000, and the parts hold pressure, so I'm THINKING it might just be wear and tear on the inside of the gun. It would still amaze me if it was, being that the wear and tear SHOULD be on the plastic, and not on the metal, but maybe we'll know a little more when the guy checks out yours.

Eagerly awaiting, but no rush. Thanks again.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:27 pm
put a kit in and it is fixed. take it apart clean gun good try again let me know

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 am
I appreciate you getting yours checked out for the sake of this. Good to hear yours is fixed.

So, I decided to try something else... I took out the micrometer from the rear of the gun, but left the seal in, and added air pressure via the rear of the gun. Guess what? No leak. Which means there's another seal involved here somewhere as that piston seal IS sealing correctly.

Anyway, long story short, I think it's going to require a full rebuild kit as there's definitely another seal involved here. Once I get a rebuild kit in there, I'll report back.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:23 am
let me know your cost on a rebuild kit, im direct with SATA possibly save you some cash

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:53 pm
Will do. I'll probably have to resort to picking one up at extortion cost via ebay or something (the last I checked it was about 100 bucks).

Did a little more investigating, which leads me to ask the question... does the distribution ring hold back air pressure at all? Or is it simply a stationary piece that routes air? (or both?) I looked at the surface of the plastic distribution ring on this one, and it looks like it's a bit knurled up around the inside holes (looked fine on the outside). The reason I ask is because I removed the fan control assembly, and aired it up (had the pressure turned down), and there's definitely a little passageway in front of that plastic piston seal feeding air to the upper area of the gun. It bypasses the micrometer and piston seal. If the distribution ring acts as a seal (which I'm not sure about), then that's it.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:06 pm
I think that's it actually. This post http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?8697-sata-trouble started confirming my thoughts. Going to try the $15 part first. :)

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:48 pm
the air distribution ring does not hold back air, it would have to move to let the air through at some point and it does not, it does effect your patter if it is chewed up from removing before, if you ever remove that ring it must be replaced.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Oh ok. Rebuild kit it is.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:55 am
Well, there's definitely something additional wrong with this gun that I don't think is going to be fixed with a seal kit. I've got an NR2000 as well as this SJ 2000 RP - both are identical with exception of one being an RP and one being a standard HVLP. One by one I stripped the parts to isolate where the leak is actually coming from, and I found it.

I figured this thing is nothing more than a pneumatic tools, so I started getting a little creative in trying to trace down the leak. On the gun that works and seals right, I aired up the gun, set a low PSI (about 20), and while it was aired up, I unscrewed the fan control knob, and removed the fan control assembly, basically exposing a hole in the side of the tool where that control knob/assembly would sit. While it was aired up, it still held pressure perfectly. Not a single leak... Now, with the gun that DOES leak... I did the same thing, and found that air was leaking into the trigger cavity (the area in front of that plastic piston/cup seal) via a small hole directly underneath the trigger rod. It's worth mentioning that the hole exists on both guns, but it's only leaking on the RP.

After seeing that, I was thoroughly confused, so I brought up an airflow diagram of the SJ 2000, and sure enough, it outlines that air passageway. What it DOESN'T outline though, is what seals up that passageway when the trigger is not depressed, so I have no idea how to resolve that. It's definitely something inside the handle that must regulate that passageway.

I'm attaching the diagram if you're curious, but that's definitely the issue. For once it's nice having another gun that's mostly identical to compare to. I know it's not ideal, but unless I can figure out some clear cut reason why that passageway leaks, in the end, I'll probably just sell the gun for parts as investing $100+ on a unproven spray gun with proven issues doesn't sound like a smart move and it doesn't appear like anything in the rebuild kit itself has anything to do with the internals in the actual handle.

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies