Small spray pattern guns?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:05 am
Sorry if it's been asked before, I searched and see a lot of people looking for specifically cheap guns...

I'm looking to do some painting on helmets. None are very big, so I'm not doing a large area. I am however looking to lay down nice coats of paint, high solid clears and metallics.

I have a few compressors available that I could use, and would LIKE to be able to use a small compressor at home if necessary (so I was looking at LVLP...but that seems hit or miss according to reviews). It'd also be nice to learn to do larger areas, like hoods etc...I'm seeing some guns claiming to have 4" to an almost 12" fan (astro evot13 for example).

Is there any decent gun out there that atomizes well and meets these requirements? For primers, I'll likely either use cans or pickup a HF purple gun. It's hard to justify a large sum for a gun I'll be using on small prop helmets, so *slightly cheaper would be nice.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:53 pm
I have the full size HF Purple gun. It seems to have poor atomization to me. It's a 1.6mm ish tip. I don't like it.

I have had lots of success with the small detail gun with the cup that swivels. Down sides of this gun is that it has a very narrow fan. Maybe only 2-3 inches wide. I haven't tried any metallics or high solids clear. Probably not a good pick since it's a 0.9mm tip.

I have a SRI pro that works great for everything I put up in it. It's a bit expensive.

A YouTuber "the gunman" recommends the ANI R150. I found it for sale in the US for around $160 USD. You can search the web for his review.

For 9 bucks you could try the HF purple detail gun before you spend the bigger bucks.

Good luck. I'll post links when I'm at my computer.

https://www.k2shoponline.com/mobile/pro ... 41323.htm=

https://m.harborfreight.com/adjustable- ... 92126.html

-Vetsen

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:34 am
I have 2 mini guns... an Iwata LPH-80 and a Harbor Freight detail gun. The HF gun does a fine job but has been relegated to primer and flake. The Iwata definitely beats the HF with better atomization, transfer rate, adjustability, and how long you can run it before your hand gets tired. It seems like paint goes twice as far with the Iwata.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:46 am
Sata Mini Jet works well for me.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:38 am
if you are spraying HS clear and hoods you better go to a full size gun, if you know or learn how to use it properly you can shrink the the fan by cutting down the material and air NOT by turning the fan control knob there really is never a reason for using fan control knob, buy a decent full size gun 1.3 1.4
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Tools and Supplies