Anyone used an Astro Evo-t on a smaller compressor?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:00 pm
I had an Astro Evo 4014 silk for years and used a QUL many times and liked the guns quite a bit. I tried a europro and liked it. I've been considering an Evo-t but the specs are calling for 11.5-13.5 cfm. Which seems insane for LVLP and I'd be better off with the HVLP or HTE versions. I'm about to replace all my guns. I've pretty much decided on the HVT1 for a mini, I may go with a w400 ($180 new on ebay) for the shop. I'm also considering ANI r150 and ANI f1 (shipped by friends in europe to make them well under $200). I also need a very low cfm full size gun for some other uses.
Considering a sprayit 33000 which supposedly uses 3.9cfm (probably not realistic for auto and I'm guessing is probably closer to 6 to spray well, since its a w400 copy but with less airholes).

$300-500 guns are not realistic for me right now.
So I guess my main questions are 1. Do we think the 11.5-13.5 on the evo-t is a gross error or pretty accurate?
2. what are some ok very low cfm full size guns? like 6 or so under.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:19 pm
Well I did find one video publication from astro that says the Evo-T uses 8 cfm so maybe thats actually the case.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 am
I used the EVO4014 and EVO4018 set for a number of years. Still use the 4018 for build primer.

Moved on to the iWata LPH400 and then the Tekna Copper 7E7 so can't really help you with that product line.

One suggestion: if you are serious about painting spend the money on a bigger, better air compressor. You won't regret it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:40 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I used the EVO4014 and EVO4018 set for a number of years. Still use the 4018 for build primer.

Moved on to the iWata LPH400 and then the Tekna Copper 7E7 so can't really help you with that product line.

One suggestion: if you are serious about painting spend the money on a bigger, better air compressor. You won't regret it.

Well I'm actually in the business of scenic art and I have a large compressor in the shop, however the guns get used by everyone so I keep them pretty cheap.
I also Must have some decent low cfm guns because I often need to paint on site. Unless you know of a 20cfm portable compressor that runs on 120. LOL
Id love to have a trailer compressor but thats a ways off right now and still wouldnt always be feasible. maybe I'll have to just break down and go with a gas powered wheelbarrow style to give me 17-18cfm
The 4014 has been like an iron beast in the shop and away, surviving falls from height and all kinds of abuse. Guess maybe I'll just stick with it and get another one. I just figured maybe there were even better guns out there now since it's idk 10 yrs old or so.
Thanks for the response btw

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:04 am
Have you ever considered turbine HVLP gun systems for your portable situation? A good 4 stage combined with either a Sicmo or Fuji gun can easily out perform the Evo 4014 and use less material to boot..... I haven't had to take a compressor on site for 25 years or so. There is nothing we can't do with our turbine systems on site that we do in our shop.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:34 pm
DarrelK wrote:Have you ever considered turbine HVLP gun systems for your portable situation? A good 4 stage combined with either a Sicmo or Fuji gun can easily out perform the Evo 4014 and use less material to boot..... I haven't had to take a compressor on site for 25 years or so. There is nothing we can't do with our turbine systems on site that we do in our shop.....

That's a great suggestion. I've honestly never used a turbine system and had no idea where to start. 4 stage and sicmo or fuji are good clues. Are the stages on a turbine system just an indicator of how high of pressure they are capable of?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:17 am
Yes, there is a "general" formula to the newer turbines. Each stage constitutes about 1.5 to 2 p.s.i. of pressure. You just have to keep in mind that the CFM is the real key to these types of sprayers. A 4 stage is developing about 6 to 8 p.s.i. but doing that at probably 100 to 120 CFM. The problem in the past was that along with increasing stages you increased heat in the turbine motor which could adversely "cook out" some of the tail solvent chemistry. Even in the "old days" we could address that with a combo of reducers and ice pack cooling at the turbine intake. Now Fuji in particular has been able to use a heat reduction system in their design still giving nice dry air but without the over heating. This has also allowed them to improve gun design. Their new 5 stage system with adjustable position gun cup is about the best out there...... Check em' out....I've sold, serviced, and built turbine units over the last 36 year now....they are really coming of age. Industrial turbine tech. is up to 9 stage units now.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:01 am
DarrelK wrote:Yes, there is a "general" formula to the newer turbines. Each stage constitutes about 1.5 to 2 p.s.i. of pressure. You just have to keep in mind that the CFM is the real key to these types of sprayers. A 4 stage is developing about 6 to 8 p.s.i. but doing that at probably 100 to 120 CFM. The problem in the past was that along with increasing stages you increased heat in the turbine motor which could adversely "cook out" some of the tail solvent chemistry. Even in the "old days" we could address that with a combo of reducers and ice pack cooling at the turbine intake. Now Fuji in particular has been able to use a heat reduction system in their design still giving nice dry air but without the over heating. This has also allowed them to improve gun design. Their new 5 stage system with adjustable position gun cup is about the best out there...... Check em' out....I've sold, serviced, and built turbine units over the last 36 year now....they are really coming of age. Industrial turbine tech. is up to 9 stage units now.

Definitely will be looking into them more. I guess I still had the old impression that turbines were really only good for woodworkers and cabinet makers and stuff like that.
Thank you, Very useful info!

Return to Tools and Supplies