Which Fuji Turbine? Stage 4 or 5

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Hello which Fuji do you recommend? Looks like only difference is 9 to 9.5 psi.
Price is about $200 more.

Going to be doing some small auto projects at home.

Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am
With automotive coatings more is better when it comes to cfm/pressure from the turbine units. You can always choke a 5 stage down as needed but with the viscosity of some stuff you can't easily increase the performance of a 4 stage. Ideally you want to try and mix your coatings per your P. sheet just as you would with any other type gun. Having that little bit of "extra" from a 5 stage makes that achievable.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:08 pm
Since you guys are on the subject of turbine guns, I have a rookie weekend cant spray in winter hack new guy question: Just what is a "Turbine Gun"?
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:28 pm
Ha, ha,..... :lol: yeah, I get that a lot. Easiest thing for a fast read on it is this directly from the Fuji web site.... http://www.fujispray.com/history-of-hvlp/
Actually turbine guns are the reason we ended up with HVLP compressed air guns in the first place.... Long, long ago in a galaxy far,far, away (sorry, couldn't help myself) some joker out in California tested the efficiency of a turbine based set up, did some measurements of it's air output at the cap and made the erroneous conclusion that 10 psi max is what is needed at the gun air cap for an efficient transfer of materials from gun to surface. The Southern California Air Resources Board was the first to adopt that as a standard. Problem is....autobody shops couldn't make turbine guns work for crap because the tech. back then was simple 1 and 2 stage units making about 4 to 6 psi max which meant that the siphon style guns also had that little bit of pressurization of the material in the cup.....bottom line....super duper orange peel that nothing would fix. Immediately seeing that these new standards were going to almost eliminate current "old style" guns almost everybody and their mothers starting producing what I'll always refer to as a "step down" style HVLP compressed air gun. By making some changes in the way air is managed in the gun you ended up with that 10 psi max cap pressure while increasing overall cfm. Efficiency of materials transferred went up from 35% (think old Binks #7 gun) to around 65%.
Now on to the modern world of multiple turbine stages.... More stages= more pressure, more cfm. My wood restoration shops main turbine is a large 4 stage. We can achieve about 92% efficiency of transfer allowing us to dial it down to about the 1/4th the size of dime pattern all the way up to about a full 14 inch fan. We run directly from 5 gallon pots and instantly snap on our quart guns loaded with different stains, custom lacquers colors, and glues.
So that's the world of turbines, enjoy...... :happy:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 pm
Darrel,

Thanks for the info.

So, is a Turbine gun basically a LVLP gun hooked up to a tank less scroll compressor?

My apologies to the OP for dragging this (kinda) off-topic

(and watch those "California" cracks!!)
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:02 am
Nope, it's easier than that....turbine motors are....wait for it.... high end vacuum cleaner motors. Yep, they are industrial versions of simple vacuum motors using their output to blow rather than suck. The motor is on top with a common shaft that extends down into the blade/housing race. Each turbine wheel is stacked on that common shaft. The close tolerances create the pressure and high cfm air movement. The guns are quite different than LVLP as the throughput housing in the gun is quite huge and the handles are insulated against the heat that the turbines develop. The air hoses are 3/4" to 1" to allow more air movement with little back pressure.
Ha, ha,..... that wasn't so much a crack against California as it was against the guys that just focused in on that 10 psi air cap thing.

Return to Tools and Supplies