Gun Spray Pattern Issues

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:50 am
I have a Devilbiss GFG-670 Plus but after the most recent cleaning of the gun, the spray pattern will not adjust to anything larger than 2-3 inches. The gun was not taken apart nor cleaned by me (friend borrowed it). What would be the cause of this issue? Do I need a rebuild kit?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:08 am
So are you saying that you think HE took it apart and cleaned it? If that would be the case I'd just sit down and carefully disassemble it. Compare it to the exploded diagram in your gun manual as you do this. I would think (this is a guess, as I don't have one of this model gun) that something is not allowing a full trigger pull for the needle to withdraw enough UNLESS that pattern is extremely wet. If it is super wet then I would expect blocked air flow somewhere. I've seen some pretty dumb stuff done when cleaning guns....I was doing some consulting work at a shop one time and instead of running a regular gun cleaner after shooting a urethane a guy grabbed a jug of mineral spirits. That turned everything into a bunch of instant plastic gobs instantly......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:11 pm
Correct, the person that borrowed it took it fully apart and cleaned it. I will do like you said and take it apart myself and compare to the diagram. Thanks.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:30 pm
DarrelK wrote: I've seen some pretty dumb stuff done when cleaning guns.

i resemble that remark. :)
dont know if yours was cleaned good, but ya may want to spend a little time with the tip and cap thoroughly cleaning the passages out. it diesnt take much at all to mess with the spray pattern.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:39 pm
I took it completely apart and fixed it. I appreciate the assistance everyone.

Return to Tools and Supplies