DA Issues

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:56 pm
I have an Ingersoll Rand 311a DA, compressor is a 5HP Devilbiss. Compressor seems to be keeping up fine and DA is oiled.

DA works well in random orbital but when locked (orbital) I can't apply any sort of pressure without the disc stopping. Similar to how I would describe a clutch slipping

Any suggestions? Is this just the end of my tools life or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:41 pm
Your compressor isn't big enough.
While in DA mode it uses 4 CFM for a 15 second run. In full power mode (rotary) it requires 17 CFM to operate.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:07 pm
Thanks, I calculated my compressors output to be 13.6 CFM. Probably not accurate but it gets me in the ballpark for future tool purchases

Curious to know was I right to want to use rotary mode for stripping paint? A friend came over and told me I'm crazy and the lockout is only to remove the pad...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:28 am
There are a few ways of removing paint.
If there is only a thin layer of factory paint the DA will remove that but it does take time.

Multiple layers of paint come off much more quickly using a heat gun and razor blade.
You can see this method in my '62 Chevy Truck post in the projects section. Once the majority of paint is removed I still go over it with 80 grit on a DA.

Another way is to use a rotary electric buffer with a sanding pad attachment however when using this method you need a fairly large pad to keep from making depressions in the metal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies