ultrasonic cleaner for spray guns

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:33 am
I think this topic has been talked about but not in much detail from what i can find. do any of you guys use ultrasonic cleaners for your spray guns? Relatively cheap now days for a decent one with good reviews. I hear mixed things but usually the negative is from the manufactures do's and dont's.

The main reason I am considering one is when I got my new iwata supernovas I thought that I could swap over my pps cup adapter. It threaded in fine but unfortunately didn't seat like its supposed to (small amount shorter than needed) which obviously I didn't notice til I put a cup on. The end result was paint coming out of the air passages once I put a cup on.....which is wonderful I know and i was super super happy. I cleaned it as thorough as I could obviously but I still have a sneaking suspicion I might have missed some. When you spray a test pattern its not quite as even as id like although ive been spraying with them for a few months now. I feel like it would also be a good friday evening thing to do to keep them tip top. Seems like the easiest way to get them sparkling clean inside and out. Whatcha guys/girls think?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:22 pm
I have a small cheap one from Harbor Freight and
about once every couple of months I put the fluid tip and cap
in a glass of lacquer thinner then place it in the ultrasonic with
water up to the fill line of the unit.
It works great.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm
JCCLARK wrote:I have a small cheap one from Harbor Freight and
about once every couple of months I put the fluid tip and cap
in a glass of lacquer thinner then place it in the ultrasonic with
water up to the fill line of the unit.
It works great.

You use just regular lacquer thinner? Ive read that can be potentially dangerous but probably fine if its not a heated one and you keep an eye on it. I read they make some amoniated blah blah blah special stuff for paint guns but cant seem to find it.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 pm
JCCLARK wrote: once every couple of months I put the fluid tip and cap
in a glass of lacquer thinner then place it in the ultrasonic

Do they need cleaning? Visible deposits that the ultrasonic loosens?

I must admit that I'd never thought of ultrasonic but, on reflection, I reckon my missus would go close. Might hold a spray gun in front of her the next time she goes off the deep end. Should work like magic. :wink:
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:33 am
NFT5 wrote:

I must admit that I'd never thought of ultrasonic but, on reflection, I reckon my missus would go close. Might hold a spray gun in front of her the next time she goes off the deep end. Should work like magic. :wink:

hahaha I'll have to try that! Now if i can just get some lacquer in her mouth.... although its pretty clean from what I can see but you cant really see the air passages. More of a peace of mind/it takes me a million rags to get the outside of the gun clean and this seems way easier.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:07 pm
CrowleysAuto wrote:
NFT5 wrote:

hahaha I'll have to try that! Now if i can just get some lacquer in her mouth.... although its pretty clean from what I can see but you cant really see the air passages. More of a peace of mind/it takes me a million rags to get the outside of the gun clean and this seems way easier.
You talkin bout the spray gun or her mouth?

:flatten:

C'mon, you knew somebody was gonna say it!

Return to Tools and Supplies