Advise on paint guns

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 am
Hello ladies and gents, I have read a few articles here. lots of good information. little about me. my experience with painting is novice. I currently own a 3.5 hp 14@40 and 12.35 @100 compressor. My question is, being a novice what is a good versatile gun that will operate well with this compressor that i can practice with and learn on.

Brand names do not mean anything to me as i have no experience with anything. I have heard Hutchins are good DYbiss or something like that are good. but have no idea. harbor freight is the bottom feeder so to speak from what i have read.

Any advice will be welcomed. thanks

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:58 pm
how many gallons is that compressor?

anyways, what youre willing to spend on guns( youre probably going to want a primer gun and a bc/cc gun) would help.
although devilbiss makes some good guns. the finishline 3 and 4's are good as are the tekna, plus, gti. id say stay away from the startingline unless just a primer gun. they dont have very good atomization.
iwata is another good brand as is sata( but very pricey) and ive read good about the sharpe finex guns,too.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:33 pm
tomsteve wrote:how many gallons is that compressor?

It is an 80 gallon tank

anyways, what youre willing to spend on guns( youre probably going to want a primer gun and a bc/cc gun) would help.

between 100 and 200 bucks

although devilbiss makes some good guns. the finishline 3 and 4's are good as are the tekna, plus, gti. id say stay away from the startingline unless just a primer gun. they dont have very good atomization.
iwata is another good brand as is sata( but very pricey) and ive read good about the sharpe finex guns,too.

Thanks for the info, right now i want to strip the terrible paint job off and get it back in primer. Also what regulator and water separater would be efficient with this setup?

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 am
In the under $200 price point, I have the Devilbiss Starting Line FLG4 with 900 cc aluminum cup. It comes with a 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tip. You can also purchase a 2.2 tip separately. It retails for about $180 online. It does a pretty good job but like any gun, it is only as good as the person using it so practice, practice , practice. I also have the Devilbiss Tekna Prolite which is their top of the line and in comparison the Tekna is a lot nicer gun but also a lot more expensive, $500 plus range. For just starting out though, I was very happy with the FLG4 and with all the tip options I could spray just about any material reasonably well.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:41 am
What you need to do is look at the spray gun specs. They will tell you the psi and cfm requirements of the gun. If your compressor does not produce enough air to supply the psi/cfm requirements the gun will not operate correctly.

Iwata makes some LPLV guns which are very good and run with Low Pressure/Low Volume requirements.

The other thing to consider is that air compressor manufacturers often fudge their numbers and a 3.5 hp compressor in my opinion is about 1.5 hp lower than the minimum I would recommend.

If you plan to run a DA with your air compressor then you really better start doing your research. DAs will often require large amounts of air (CFM) to operate.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:24 pm
Lenny B wrote:In the under $200 price point, I have the Devilbiss Starting Line FLG4 with 900 cc aluminum cup. It comes with a 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tip. You can also purchase a 2.2 tip separately. It retails for about $180 online. It does a pretty good job but like any gun, it is only as good as the person using it so practice, practice , practice...

Lenny,

Isnt the FLG4 the "Finish Line" gun, which is different than the "Starting Line" gun?

I had both when I started and sold the Starting Line gun and I now spray primers with my FLG4 Finish Line gun.

To the OP, get the FLG4 "Finish Line" gun and skip the "Starting Line" gun. I am a rookie weekender and I could notice a huge difference between the two gun lines.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:10 pm
What are you planning to paint?

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:21 pm
Saw your other post. Question answered, old Mustang.

I am thinking you are going to need a larger compressor for this job.

HF gun will get you through the primer stage. After that I would recommend a Tekna ProLite for base and clear. I found one for around $300 (if I remember right) with an assortment of tips, needles, and caps. Very user friendly.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:16 pm
Thanks guys and gals for all the fast responses. yes for now just looking to get the body stripped and in primer so i can do body work. you guys rock!!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 am
OldFatBald wrote:
Lenny B wrote:In the under $200 price point, I have the Devilbiss Starting Line FLG4 with 900 cc aluminum cup. It comes with a 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tip. You can also purchase a 2.2 tip separately. It retails for about $180 online. It does a pretty good job but like any gun, it is only as good as the person using it so practice, practice , practice...

Lenny,

Isnt the FLG4 the "Finish Line" gun, which is different than the "Starting Line" gun?

I had both when I started and sold the Starting Line gun and I now spray primers with my FLG4 Finish Line gun.

To the OP, get the FLG4 "Finish Line" gun and skip the "Starting Line" gun. I am a rookie weekender and I could notice a huge difference between the two gun lines.

You are correct. I meant to say the Finish Line FLG4. I also started with the Starting Line Guns and ended up selling them on Ebay.

Return to Tools and Supplies