Old Titan Pro Finish 300 turbine? Darrell?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:50 pm
I have an old Titan Pro Finish 300 turbine that does not have a gun with it. Someone said that some of the early turbines took a different type of gun that bleeds off air when the trigger is not pulled. The turbine will burn up you let the pressure back up. Anyone know if this turbine is one of those? Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:14 am
Hey, there, haven't seen one of these older system in awhile. Okay, it's like this....ALL early turbine guns were bleeders. The main idea was that the turbine spooled up, leveled out in cfm flow, and temperatures. The bleeding guns kept all that a reality. Back pressure from a non-bleeder with earlier designs and crappy two stage turbines would indeed get too hot and lock up and destroy themselves.
So what do you need for it.....you can go a couple of ways....easiest is to find an old Titan gun that matches up for it (it will say Pro Finish right on the gun handle), next would be any old Sicmo gun which would be not only a bleeder but a better gun and finally.....go full redneck on it.... You can take a hose coupling fitting, drill a 1/4 inch hole in it, take some hard thick rubber or other semi-flexy material and make a "flapper" over the hole held down by a screw. You've just made a crude pressure relief valve. This approximates the amount of bleed off that would have been going through the gun. If it is working properly you should not hear the "sound" of the turbine change much as it runs at idle. And of course, if you are a real engineer type you could take screws/nails combined with a small spring and make a real elaborate pop-off valve......
Oh, and I just saw this on ebay.....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SICMO-HVLP-Tur ... 3040768993
That is one of the earlier (better I think) Sicmo guns. If you don't like the cup/under style gun Sprayfine does make a J adapter to turn it into a gravity gun.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:08 pm
I was at an auction and it came up. I got it for $5, figured I couldn't go wrong for that. I have about 2000 feet of trim molding to paint and thought maybe I could use this for it. Do you think a 1.5 tip and thin the paint would work? Thanks for the help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:24 pm
Yeah, I think you'd be okay. If you are shooting water based put a little bit of Flood's Flotrol in there. If it is some type of oil based enamel use Flood's Penetrol. If doing a type of wood lacquer get some retarder or flash off control solvent which matches your brand of lacquer.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Thanks Darrell, I am using water based. I didn't get your first message until after the auction was over. I have a Accuspray 10G non bleeder gun. If I can use the relief valve I will use that gun.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:11 pm
Again, just make sure to "listen" to the turbine when it is bleeding. If you hear any shrill whistles or worse metal/on metal grinding it will overheat and kill the motor.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:12 pm
Will do , Thanks again

Return to Tools and Supplies