Help with air compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 am
Whats the minimum Air Compressor I can use for HVLP? I'm reading now that you should have 10 cfm at 90 psi or 230 Volts and 10 amps or 8HP and 80 gallons. That equates to an air compressor that is BIG BUCKS!!
I just do not have a MONSTER compressor, nor can I afford one, since a good one runs like 750 bucks. ( I already bought a nice Hobart welder this year)
I will be shooting my car a panel (ie such as fender, trunk, hood, the biggest would be roof) & I have a 220 VAC Dayton Speedaire & it is not up to the task, I finally confirmed its 2HP & has a 30 gallon tank and only putting out 6cfm at 90 psi. I am present equipped to shoot a License Plate is the way I look at it.
I am totally frustrated. I totally overlooked this because my machine weighs like 250 pounds.
The most I can afford ( my Financial Officer, the better Half, would make me start needlepont or gardening as a hobby if I shelled out $700 to buy a 80 gallon Ingersoll Rand ) is to buy a used 5 HP machine for say 200 , but that would only get me to 7 cfm at 90 psi. I could mate the tanks and get 30 +20 = 50, but I doubt I will try running two 220 VAC units in tandem as the amps would probably kill the breakers. My last choice would be to make my own monster compressor out of parts, dont laugh I have really done some dumb things.I may be the lousiest painter, but I the L___ was nice enough to give me a way with machinery, I've been rebuilding an engine as a parallel project this summer.
To paint my car , I have already bought a Neotorik Breathing System, two barrel fans for ventilation, a Makita Sander, Tons of PSA Disks, some decent guns, Primer , tons of sandpaper and I have spent hours studying and reading and watching the SPRAY 101 DVD.
I dont want to GIVE UP. Any suggestions?
Most guys have this thing about buying Big Tools. Usually I go for Hi quality, I'm not into buying for size, thats why I shelled out the money for the Dayton Speedaire back in 2000, but though its rugged and will last 50 years, its just too small.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:42 am
Welcome to the forum.

Skimping on the air compressor is going to cause you more heartaches, time and possibly money in the long run.

I wrote an article to try and help people like yourself understand why.
https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/

Bottom line is to look at your spray gun and air tool CFM requirements. In the higher end guns that is almost always 10-13 CFM at a specified pressure. Your compressor should deliver at least 10% above that or it will be running non-stop and that makes it hot and produces moisture.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:47 am
Yeah, it's a common problem with the new kids on the block here. The gun and compressor are a "system." You can have a semi crappy gun with a decent cfm compressor and turn out some pretty great results but if you team up a great gun with a poor compressor and things go south pretty quickly..... Okay, so, just an opinion, start shopping.... I see deals all over the place on some pretty great compressors usually in the $200 to $350 range. Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, Offer Up, and some of the Neighborhood web sites are the places for deals. You just have to have cash and be quick as they get gobbled up fast. Just saw a 5 h.p. 60 gallon go for $185. Guy had used it for one project (less than a year old) and gotten his next work assignment on the other coast. I myself will probably sell one of our big shop compressors next spring..... 80 gallon 7.5 h.p. with 27 cfm. Wouldn't be surprised if I send it out the door for around $500 or so..... Deals are out there.......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:06 am
great advise above. something to consider with this is the cost for another part of the cast:
air filtration/moisture seperator and a decent gage at the gun.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:59 am
Andelm wrote: is to buy a used 5 HP machine for say 200 , but that would only get me to 7 cfm at 90 psi.

Something wrong with that, my Eaton 5 hp puts 17 cfm at 90psi.
And most 5hp units are close to that' around 15 cfm.
And it keeps up just fine.

You could always just use a conventional gun which uses a lot
less air. You don't HAVE to use HVLP.
Before the 1990's that's all we used.
HVLP only came along for environmental reasons.
There are still painters out there that won't use HVLP.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:55 pm
JCCLARK wrote:There are still painters out there that won't use HVLP.

True, I'm one. Even better than conventional would be a compliant or Reduced Pressure gun.

For example, the Devilbiss FLG5 uses 9.8cfm while the top shelf Pro Lite with TE10 or T110 aircap uses around 9.5cfm. Either will give a better finish than any HVLP.

Don't get too hung up on compressor tank sizes and ratings either. My shop compressor is 2.75hp with a 100 litre tank and it handles anything I can throw at it. The backup is also 2.75hp and only has a 40 litre tank and it copes with any spray gun I have. Look for good quality second hand to replace that one you have.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm
NFT5 wrote:Don't get too hung up on compressor tank sizes and ratings either. My shop compressor is 2.75hp with a 100 litre tank and it handles anything I can throw at it. The backup is also 2.75hp and only has a 40 litre tank and it copes with any spray gun I have. Look for good quality second hand to replace that one you have.

I tried that minimal compressor route when I started, got tired of waiting for the compressor to catch up so I could run my DA. Definitely wouldn't handle my SATA 2000 either.
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:26 am
Hardly minimal, but I did make a mistake in the specs.

The big one is 3hp and 120 litres. Specs here, but 17.7 cfm (displacement) and 13.77 cfm free air delivery.

The second one is 2.75hp and 17.5 cfm displacement and, I think, about 13.0 cfm free air. With the 40 litre tank it is borderline for our use, keeping up, but only just. I downgraded it because of that but it would be fine for home use.

Although I have 415V 3 phase in the shop the compressors run on single phase (240V, 15A outlets) because going to 3 phase triples the price.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:55 am
On your first pic. there, your motor and pump look larger than most of the ones that come on our 60 gallon uprights here. Your portables units like that are in a whole different universe than what they sell here.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:49 am
DarrelK wrote:On your first pic. there, your motor and pump look larger than most of the ones that come on our 60 gallon uprights here. Your portables units like that are in a whole different universe than what they sell here.

I agree those are great numbers for small compressors.

Yes, the CFM output on your compressors would handle any spray gun, however the ones they sell here put out about 1/3 of that at best.

A lot of the manufactures make the compressors look massive but even then they don't put a good pump on them. If you don't read the specs you end up paying $600 or more and not getting what you need.
1968 Coronet R/T

Next

Return to Tools and Supplies