New paint gun for Christmas

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:51 pm
As a painter I guess I`m a notch above novice, some experience but lots still to learn. I`ve had it with my crappy Vaper gun and am looking for something I can use as I hopefully get better at this. So I`ve been hunting around and doing lots of reading and I`m leaning toward the Devilbiss Finishline 4 FLG-670 mostly because of the good name, it comes with 1.3,1.5 and 1.8 tips and it seems to get pretty positive reviews. But the reviews from this forum carry a lot more weight so wondering if you guys would care to comment? Good, bad, meh?
Thanks,
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 pm
Check the CFM requirements for this gun and make sure your compressor is up to the task.
The HVLP model takes 13 CFM if I remember correctly. If you have the compressor this gun should work real good for you.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:53 am
The FLG5 is Reduced Pressure and uses way less air than the FLG4. Finish quality is much better as well.

Buy it here.

Reviews here.
Chris

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:36 am
IMG_5217.JPG

This year I just finished painting my 55 Ford Fairlane. If you visit hotrodreverend.com there is a very detailed series of blog posts that include pictures, videos, and all kinds of information. The relevancy to your question concerns the paint gun, Devilbiss FLG4. When you read my blog posts (some of my comments and questions can be found elsewhere here on the forum) don't laugh. The finish of a "driveway" paint job as it were turned out much better than I thought.

I am a NOVICE. What the experts here will stress to you about cfm is very, very true. Do not scrimp in this department. My compressor is a two stage job and did fine keeping up, no moisture or contaminants in any of my finishes, etc. I used the FLG4 to spray my red and my clear. (incidentally, I used the HC2100 Tamco Clear sold on this site - excellent product for a guy like me with limited experience.) I am very happy with the results from the gun. I used an even cheaper gun to spray my primer and was very satisfied with that as well. I have no experience with paint guns and I would have to say that the FLG4 is at best an "entry level" gun - probably a little bit better than their starting line series? not sure. At any rate, I was happy with the price to quality ratio I received if that makes any sense.
Attachments
IMG_5215.JPG
DSC08092.JPG
Home of Y Block Ministries
Milford, Ohio

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:31 pm
I agree with the Reverend and NFT5, and I will add my weekender rookie hack's two cents.

Get a good compressor, air cleaning filter system and a good as gun as you can afford.

I pretty much purchase lower dollar products (the Tamco clear is awesome for me). But the materials still add up FAST!

I started with a Devilbiss Starting Line set of guns and sold them after using a Finish Line gun. Now that I have a Sagola 4600, I hardly ever uses my Finish Line gun.

Another good gun that I found is the ANI F150 from that same website. I use one with a 1.7 tip for shooting flakes in intercoat.

At first I thought that a good gun would just be a waste on me, but now I think that it is the other way around. These pros can probably lay down some great product with a junk gun while the good guns make a HUGE difference to me - especially on laying clear.

If you are going to keep doing paint jobs, I would suggest to invest in a good gun such as a Tekna, Sagola, Sata, Iwata etc and learn that gun.

BTW, Merry Christmas!
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 am
Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.
The conversion of SCFM of the compressor to CFM at the gun has got my head spinning, wish I had paid more attention in math class.
The Finishline 4-670 requires 13cfm at 23 psi at the regulator on the gun tail,
my compressor is a 60 gal. tank, single stage pump that delivers 10.3 SCFM at 90psi and 11.8 SCFM at 40psi. Do you think I have enough compressor for this gun?
Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:47 am
The S simply means it was tested at a standardized temp, humidity, altitude, etc.

The difference is generally minimal at best. Your compressor is too small to handle that gun.

This is why we suggest at compressor that puts out at least 15 CFM (SCFM) @ 40 psi for a one man shop.

You should get a spray gun that uses at the most 10 cfm at your required PSI.

An Iwata LPH400 LV would be one that is a quality gun. These have a softer spray (less cloud more efficient transfer rate) and you move slightly slower when spraying with them but they produce an excellent finish.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:45 am
grannyknot wrote:Do you think I have enough compressor for this gun?

No. FLG5 will work or Pro Lite with TE10 or T110 aircaps. Alternately most Iwata RP (not HVLP) will work ok too.

Don't get hung up on HVLP. It's technology that has been well superceded - most good RP guns will use way less air and give not only higher transfer efficiencies but better finishes as well.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am
HVLP is a lot more efficient at applying basecoat. atomizes less for better transfer efficiency
and better coverage.

use the RP for clears. it atomizes better leaving a nice slick clear.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:17 pm
That's true, Dave, when applied to the guns that you and I use, although I'd back a TE20 aircap against the HV25 or 30 any day.

The problem is that most of the guys on here aren't looking at top end guns, generally maxing out on budgets of around $200. At that price point the HVLP offerings are pretty ordinary.

The other issue is that OP, just like most that ask the question, is limited with the compressor he has. So recommending an HVLP gun is, in my opinion, only going to cause him to have to either struggle with insufficient air or incur the expense of a new compressor.

In terms of the gun itself, an RP gun correctly set up will lay base as well, if not better than HVLP, and transfer efficiencies are as good, if not higher. It's a lot easier, and cheaper, to drop pressure a touch than it is to buy a new compressor and an HVLP gun that a less experienced painter will struggle with when it comes time for clear.

I stand by my recommendation for the FLG5 in a case like this. With the 1.4mm setup that comes standard it will do a very good job with basecoat and approaches guns three times the price for its ability to lay clear or 2K. Add the bigger tip and it will do primer as well. In terms of value for money not much else comes even close.
Chris
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies