Air Compressor For Powder Coating

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:12 am
I am in the stages of gathering equipment and more importantly information so I can get the ground running with a small shop powder coating operation.

I got my hands on the Eastwood start up kit including a beginners guide, which I have found pretty unsatisfactory... For example, including a detailed description on curing including specifically telling you to "shut the oven door and don't open it too often because it lets heat out"... No kidding. Yet it vaguely brushes over grounding a part or operating your compressor equipment etc...

I had not read through all chapters when I went out to pick up a decent compressor, and the best description for what to get in the section on getting a compressor, simply states, get the highest CFM you can get for your money, only to later explain that you should get something with NO LESS than 7CFM @ 90 PSI if you plan to operate a blast cab, or other blasting tools.

Anyway, i hadn't read that yet and picked up "the best for my money" compressor at Lowes, a 30 Gallon Kobalt delivering 5.3 CFM @ 90 PSI.

My main quesiton; Will this compressor have sufficient capacity to operate a blaster once I add that to my shop?

Is it even a decent compressor or should I return it and grab something better in the $400 price range?

Settled In
Canada
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:13 pm
"My main quesiton; Will this compressor have sufficient capacity to operate a blaster once I add that to my shop?"
Probably, just not for long before the pressure drops, volume ceases, and the realization sets in things aren't going as planned, which quickly is followed by the disappointment and the wait. Bigger (more CFM) is better.
If you have all day, don't mind the sound of the compressor running, always use fresh sharp glass beads, you could get by? But when the disappoint sets in, you will be wishing you had bumped it up when you had the chance.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:20 pm
Wasthanal wrote:...My main quesiton; Will this compressor have sufficient capacity to operate a blaster once I add that to my shop?

Is it even a decent compressor or should I return it and grab something better in the $400 price range?

Take it back, get your money returned and save up or hunt the classifieds for a good compressor. And don't be scared of a 220V compressor, they are easy to wire in.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:28 pm
First you'll want a pressure blaster they are much more efficient, use less air. my blaster has a 3/16 nozzle and my 18 cfm compressor just handles it. for more info on powder coating check Caswell Powder Coating Forums and look under Powder Coating. very good with many people that know Powder Coating
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Tools and Supplies