Using your palm sander for wet sanding.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:10 am
Over the years of making guitars and doing some metal polishing work as a machinist I used the palm sanders with wet or dry silicon paper and with plenty of water it makes the sanding to go much faster and specially leveling out the epoxy coating. I just done some epoxy sanding on my boat last night, to **** hot here to work in the daytime, and it went pretty good.
This morning I tried another shot at something I haven't tried before. I used the sheet rock open sheets with water and with the hand operated leveling board that you buy to level the mud with on walls. It works pretty good and since the board is pretty flat it does a good job. The only thing that I didn't like is the silicon grit did come off the screens pretty much but did level the epoxy good. I then cut up a sheet of it and tried it on my palm sander with lots of water and that really cut good. But again the grit came off but washes off easily. The grit on these papers I had was 120.
I think the silicon paper does just as good of a job as the mud paper. So I oredered me some precut sheets for the palm sander, which is a quarter sheet, of 80 grit and some 120 grit, they come in 50 sheets in a bundle. I got these from mcmaster-carr if you are interested.
They are fast shippers to just about any were and I have used them for many years buying stuff for myself and while working for others.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 am
Just want to make sure any of the newbies that are reading this are clear on it....you are talking about leveling an epoxy resin here....NOT an epoxy coating, right?
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies