Grain Bin Booth Idea

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:55 pm
Hello, not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm currently trying to rack my brain for paint booth ideas that'll be relatively cheap and functional. I live in an agricultural community and it seems like old galvanized grain bins are cheap and pretty abundant. Would be similar to the attached photo. 14 foot diameter by 10 feet high, steel floor. Seems to me it wouldn't be too hard to make a decent booth with one. I'd be thinking of putting it on a frame to keep it off the ground and make room for a ventilation duct. I'd need to engineer a some type of door that I could get body panels in and get it to seal up well. Also need to consider cfm requirements, filtration and how fans need to be situated. Will more than likely be getting a fresh air mask for breathing air.

Anyone have any insight? I'm pretty new to the paint world and really just need somewhere safe and clean to spray panels or a cab, wouldn't need anything big enough to pull a vehicle into. I've done a fair amount of research on homemade booth designs but it seems like this idea is a bit unique due to its shape. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Attachments
grain bin.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:20 am
14' diameter? Doesn't sound big enough for most cars
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 am
welcome thorens. good to think outside of the box. however, at 14' diameter that may seem like a lot of room, but get a cab in there plus compressor, mixing table, lighting(electrical for lighting,too)and all of the other supporting cast and that room will shrink. plus it seems theres going to be quite a bit of time and $$$ getting filtration and heat mounted to round walls. also heating it- im thinkin ya live in an area that gets pretty cold in the winter. i think those grain bins have a negative R value so youd have to think about insulating or not using it in the winter. then in the summer it will get extremely hot which it isnt the funnest to paint in hot weather.
the structure may save money but i dont think much over building something that would work better. plus it seems like it would be a hassle to set it up.
ya want to frame a floor for it so maybe look into a shed type structure package. i built a 14 by 16 with 8' walls a few years ago. the kit was $1600 and easy to frame.although i had 15 years of framing experience theyre still pretty easy to frame. DIY electrical, insulating, and all that didnt cost much and wasnt hard- sure seems it would be a lot easier than trying to do it all in a round structure.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:13 pm
A Honda Accord is 16' long.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:41 pm
Thanks for all the input. Yeah like I stated it would be more for spraying individual parts and not for pulling whole vehicles into, but definitely the more space the better. I guess I might have to break down and price out the lumber to build a decent booth.

Return to Tools and Supplies