Iwata W101 - Real or Knock Off?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 am
Even the font on the cup's box is a little wonky (another engineering term not to be thrown about)

Made Where (2).jpg

Made Where (3).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:16 pm
thats a fake sir,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm
PainterDave wrote:thats a fake sir,

Prior to purchasing it, I expected it to be a fake. After having it for a few days and taking a closer look at things, I validated that it is a fake.

I sent some photos in an email to the Iwata rep that I know and this was his reply.

"Hello I am the marketing coordinator for Anest Iwata and unfortunately yes you do you have fake one. None of our products are ever manufactured in China we do not recommend purchasing from anybody online except for approved dealers we have no way to regulate it"

I thought that they would be more interested in it than that and that they would at least ask for the link???

I sent an email to Amazon telling them that it is counterfeit and that they should drop it. I am curious as to what their reply will be. I am also going to ask Amazon to refund my money.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:40 pm
OldFatBald wrote: I am also going to ask Amazon to refund my money.

Good luck. I asked Ebay the same thing for the one I bought and they referred me to the seller who promised to refund the purchase price if I sent the gun to Romania.....for $80 postage. :cry:
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:24 am
Yeah, I blame most of this "disregard" for trade dress laws on the internet. I think international laws have been "defanged" since it's introduction. Back in the 1980s Ferrari and Lambo based kit cars started appearing. Ferrari jumped in with cease and desist orders almost immediately quashing (to this day even) those guys with very little continued production of the cars. With more limited production products like these guns it's probably just not worth even trying to go after these knockoff manufacturing concerns. I am sure there are trade entanglements between countries like this as well.
Last edited by DarrelK on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 am
SATA are active in pursuing the counterfeiters. I believe that Devilbiss and Iwata are as well.

https://www.partsandpeople.com/national-collision/sata-combats-counterfeit-guns-and-products-marketplace

Once in the country of destination (i.e. USA, Australia etc) it's much easier for them to stop the distributors of fake goods since we have rule of law and authorities that will do something. Unfortunately the situation is much different in China where the police don't care and the IP authorities are either toothless or similarly apathetic. However, the one government authority which will get involved is Customs (because part of their charter is to protect China's reputation in exports) and they have the power to drag in the others. It's a very different system, but one which can shut down the counterfeiters, if only temporarily. More on that here.

It's a massive industry and with value of $400billion it's easy to understand why the government is reluctant to really address the problem. This report is worth a look.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 am
any chance posting the UPC code off the box OR going here - https://www.upcitemdb.com/ and punching in the UPC code off the box. let us know what comes up.

it's not saying the chinese couldn't knock-off the UPC code, but I'm fairly positive I have a knockoff, iwata, viscosity cup, and the product number part of the UPC code is fictitious.. i'm thinking the UPC code reads as follows:

4538995xxxxxx, where 453 indicates japan, 8995 indicates iwata (could be wrong here), and xxxxxx ID's the product

just curious ….

:goodjob:

EDIT: FWIW, i punched in the UPC code off the paint cup box, and it came up "incorrect or invalid."

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am
You can't just say "ebay and Amazon shouldn't allow it". If you know it's a fake and you buy it you are supporting the ripping off of Western industry by the thieving Chinese commies.

It is 100% a fake. The W101 is the most ripped off gun on the market for some reason. If people did not buy what is obviously a rip off then they would not exist. It also pollutes the used market with fakes which often times are sold on as the real thing for more money than originally purchased for.

If you buy a chinese ripped off Prolite, 5000RP, W101 or whatever you are effectively receiving stolen goods.

OFB: you are doing the right thing demanding a refund.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:50 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:thats a fake sir,

Prior to purchasing it, I expected it to be a fake. After having it for a few days and taking a closer look at things, I validated that it is a fake...

I sent an email to Amazon telling them that it is counterfeit and that they should drop it. I am curious as to what their reply will be. I am also going to ask Amazon to refund my money.

Here is Amazon's reply to my "review" where I blasted the gun as a forgery and that Amazon should remove the listing immediately.
"Thank you for submitting a customer review on Amazon. After carefully reviewing your submission, your review could not be posted to the website. While we appreciate your time and comments, reviews must adhere to the following guidelines:
http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines

A few common issues to keep in mind:

• Your review should focus on specific features of the product and your experience with it. Feedback on the seller or your shipment experience should be provided at www.amazon.com/feedback.
•We do not allow profane or obscene content. This applies to adult products too.
•Advertisements, promotional material or repeated posts that make the same point excessively are considered spam.
•Please do not include URLs external to Amazon or personally identifiable content in your review.
•Any attempt to manipulate Community content or features, including contributing false, misleading, or inauthentic content, is strictly prohibited."

I am Very Disappointed with Amazon and will follow up with a phone call to them later today, though I certainly do not expect anything out of them now.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:47 am
I think I just ordered the same gun with different branding. It’s coming from China and labeled Ntools w101 and has the 1.0 nozzle.
Attachments
C7D68332-E784-426C-A832-DF5510DAFA1D.png
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies