Input on an older Campbell Hausfeld Compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:48 pm
Update: I went to see the CH CE7000FP 7.5 HP 2 stage and it appears to check out. I left a $100 deposit for it and am going to try to arrange to pick it up on either Friday or Sunday.

My biggest concern and question thus far, how the hell do i transport it? I have a Chevy Trailblazer ss with a tow hitch but have never used it to tow anything. I’ve never personally driven a vehicle with a trailer behind it but plan to stay off the highway. I’m considering renting a small trailer for a motorcycle for U-Haul and possibly a pallet jack. Even then I’m not sure if the pallet jack will have the clearance to get it onto the trailer. The compressor is mounted to a small pallet with wheels that was used to relocate it from a shop next door to the current location.

I’m open to any viable suggestions. Thanks

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:10 pm
Djsmith1996 wrote:...My biggest concern and question thus far, how the hell do i transport it?...
I’m open to any viable suggestions. Thanks

It's probably around 500-600 lbs. We used plywood and equipment dollies, then man handled mine, which is probably lighter than yours.

You can also take it apart which helps. They are pretty simple
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm
Ha, ha, yeah, this is the painful part. That one is right at about 600 pounds with about 450 to 500 of that being "up top." When I bought mine my son-in law had a low flat open trailer. It was new and bolted to a pretty sturdy skid which the retailer just loaded on the trailer with a forklift. We used heavy duty ratchet straps at 4 points to tie it in that upright position and like you took back roads home. We got it on one of my heavy duty furniture carts when we got it to the shop and about 3 of us tugged it into place.
As said you can disassemble the top end if needed..... Trust me, whatever you need to do....this unit will drive anything in your shop. It will be worth it....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 am
Thanks for your input. I bought some ratchet straps today and will rent a utility trailer from U-Haul along with a furniture dolly. The specs say this is about 600 lbs. I’m hoping that i can get in on the dolly and strap it to it for the short trip off the utility trailer. I’ve never driven with a trailer but went to the race track quite a bit with my stepdad and know it’s a skill to backing those things up. I think i can back it right up to my garage and then hopefully begin to unload. I think once i have it on solid ground i’ll get excited.

If there is anything anyone thinks I’m missing, I’m all ears. Worse case scenario i will take it apart prior to unloading but i hopt to avoid that. I’ll keep you posted.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:13 am
make sure ya have the weight in front of the trailer axle and centered.
when ya go to strap it down look at it from the compressors view-how it could
move when taking off, stopping, and cornering.
backing up short trailers can be fun. give me a 35' flatbed trailer and i can get it backed into a loading dock in no time.
the 3' utility trailer on the back of my tractor? jackknife!!!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:57 am
tomsteve wrote:make sure ya have the weight in front of the trailer axle and centered.
when ya go to strap it down look at it from the compressors view-how it could
move when taking off, stopping, and cornering.
backing up short trailers can be fun. give me a 35' flatbed trailer and i can get it backed into a loading dock in no time.
the 3' utility trailer on the back of my tractor? jackknife!!!

Great info. Thank you

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:38 pm
Update: thanks for all your tips, i picked it up today. I honestly had been dreading the thought of having to load and transport this thing. For future reference and anyone looking on this forum for ideas on transport, i rented a U-Haul pick up and the utility trailer with the ramp. It took a small wench to assist us in getting the unit up the ramp as it has a grate floor. We put plywood on the ramp and had two furniture dollies under the pallet it was bolted to. I secured it in the middle of the bed with two ratchet straps at the anchor points in the corners of the trailer.

I chose to take surface streets and drove slower than necessary. We were able to unload it with just myself and brother in law but we had to get a little creative. I used my auto ramps to put under the gate and level with the trailer bed. Next we got the compressor (back on the dollies) onto the plywood laid on the gate. My concern was top heavy compressor, on the ramp, would start to tip over and we wouldn’t be able to control it. I took a ratchet strap and secured it to the sides of the trailer and around the motor of the compressor. This was to keep it secured and then we slowly put slack into the strap until it was on the ground. The ramps were positioned parallel with the gate and we slowly moved them out. Essentially stepping the gate to the ground as we pulled the ramps out. Hope this makes sense and may be of help to the next person looking for tips on this forum. I’m going to spend some time cleaning the garage tomorrow and start to get an idea if they layout. Again, i can’t thank you enough for your input.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 pm
Just glad you made it home in one piece.....nobody crushed, compressor in one piece, that's a good day
:allgood:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies