Input on an older Campbell Hausfeld Compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 am
Hi, my name is Derek and I’m a fairly new member. I actually found this forum and created an account a few years ago as i considered the idea of learning to paint our 65 impala. I’ve been reading a lot of the different topics as well as taking inspiration in some of your builds.

I have been looking on Craigslist and Offer up for suitable air compressor. I have located a Campbell Hausfeld 80 gallon 5hp 2 stage compressor. I spoke with the owner today and am planning to go to see it this weekend. He tells me it’s an older unit but he recently replaced a lot of the parts and that it runs “excellent.” I asked why he intended to sell it and he said he’s 85 yrs old and repaired cars with it at his home. He intends to finally retire and no longer needs it. He has it listed for $750 but i planned to see if i can negotiate it closer to $600. Any thoughts on the brand? Things i should look for when i go to see it? I’ll be the first to admit I’m a fish out of water. Never used a 5 gallon compressor so i have no clue what areas of concern i should look for. I appreciate any and all honest feedback. Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:25 am
A lot depends on what parts he replaced.
Does it have a new motor? Did he replace the compressor pump?

I just sold one very similar to what you are looking at for a widow lady in my church. It was older but obviously hadn't been used very much and was in fairly good condition. Listed it for $500 and never got a single reply, dropped to $400 and waited another month, nothing.
Dropped to $300 and got a looker and eventually sold it for $250.00

If he replaced the pump and motor then it should last a long time, if not I would just keep an eye on the ad and see if the prices starts dropping. You could just offer him $350 for it and see what happens.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:06 am
Yeah, he's asking way too much for that in my opinion. When I eventually sell my 7.5 hp/80 gallon CH unit I'll probably be in the $450 to $550 range and that has had a complete "drop-in" replacement unit from the tank/up. I'd think $250 to $350 depending on condition. You need to hear it at least run and pump up to cut-off, carefully listen for leaks around the tank, and watch the tank gauge. There should be drain valve on the bottom of the tank....see if that opens..... If he was keeping up on maintenance almost nothing should trickle out of that valve...... Personally, I would not buy any compressor I couldn't see pump up to cut-off...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 pm
Thank you for your input. I’m going to see it Sunday and will take your tips with me when i examine the unit. I’m definitely not in a rush to buy so playing the waiting game is fine by me. I’ll show my face and let him know I’m interested and then go from there. I’ll get some more info such as the model number etc.

From what I’ve read here, many companies rate their compressor higher than they physically operate. Should i be concerned with a 5hp compressor or look out for a 7.5 instead?

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:52 pm
Djsmith1996 wrote:...From what I’ve read here, many companies rate their compressor higher than they physically operate. Should i be concerned with a 5hp compressor or look out for a 7.5 instead?

I have a 6hp (that's whats on the label?) 60 gallon CH 220V single phase compressor that I traded with a buddy for a little 120V compressor, and have no idea on it's age though it is obviously used.

Mine works great so far, I have a little compressor oil leak but it looks to be on the 1/4" oil drain extension pipe that somebody had installed. I just need to pull it out and install a new one that is properly sealed with Teflon tape.

Mine works like a champ, runs my DA, Die Grinders and Paint Guns but it is just me and not any kind of pro shop. But I agree $750 is wayyyyy (yep, 5 "y"s) tooo much for a used compressor. If you are not in a hurry and as long as you are not out in the Alaskan boondocks or something. I'd offer him $250 to $300 and explain that you are not trying to screw him, but that is all it is worth to you. And then be prepared to politely thank him for his time and walk away.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:11 pm
OldFatBald wrote:

Mine works like a champ, runs my DA, Die Grinders and Paint Guns but it is just me and not any kind of pro shop. But I agree $750 is wayyyyy (yep, 5 "y"s) tooo much for a used compressor. If you are not in a hurry and as long as you are not out in the Alaskan boondocks or something. I'd offer him $250 to $300 and explain that you are not trying to screw him, but that is all it is worth to you. And then be prepared to politely thank him for his time and walk away.

Thanks for the info on the quality of this brand. I think i’ll follow your lead and throw out $300 and see what he says. I live in LA and one of the few things i like about California is that there is always someone selling something.

Since posting this thread I’ve come across a CH CE7000FP 7.5 HP 2 stage listed for $800. Owner says it’s still under warranty but i doubt the warranty extends to me once he sells it. I’m considering this one also.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:25 pm
Djsmith1996 wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:

Since posting this thread I’ve come across a CH CE7000FP 7.5 HP 2 stage listed for $800. Owner says it’s still under warranty but i doubt the warranty extends to me once he sells it. I’m considering this one also.

if its this one
https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/Ca ... 11075.html

i think id be lookin hard at it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:19 pm
Yeah, if it's that one I'd buy it for that kind of bucks. That's basically the modernized version of the same one I talked about. Just remember you'll probably have to have a minimum of a 50 amp breaker for that compressor along with the appropriate gauge wiring for the distance from you breaker box. Do check into the warranty, they are transferable on some equipment.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:29 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, if it's that one I'd buy it for that kind of bucks. That's basically the modernized version of the same one I talked about. Just remember you'll probably have to have a minimum of a 50 amp breaker for that compressor along with the appropriate gauge wiring for the distance from you breaker box. Do check into the warranty, they are transferable on some equipment.

Yes, i believe that’s the one. I’m going to see it Monday.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:57 pm
DarrelK wrote:Yeah, if it's that one I'd buy it for that kind of bucks. That's basically the modernized version of the same one I talked about. Just remember you'll probably have to have a minimum of a 50 amp breaker for that compressor along with the appropriate gauge wiring for the distance from you breaker box. Do check into the warranty, they are transferable on some equipment.

Yep, run 6ga (copper) wire and use a fused disconect right next to it.

I put mine outside the garage and built it's own little dog house for it, then piped through the wall.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies