LVLP and acrylic enamel (first post)

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:20 pm
Hi everyone,
I am going to be paint a 68 Plymouth Valiant that is already in primer. I am about to purchase a LVLP gun due to my compressors limitations and the area I have to paint in.
Probably a Sprayit 33000. I would like to use an acrylic enamel Probably the starfire sunshine yellow. I will be spraying a panel at a time.
My question is basically can I get a "decent" result from the lvlp gun. the car is a driver and I would actually like to see it fade a little over time,a patina look.
I am also not opposed to using a rustoleum type paint either.
Let me know if my hopes are realistcn and thanks for letting me on board :pcorn:

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:53 pm
Okay, so spit it out......just how much compressor do you have???? CFM, h.p., tanks size?????
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 pm
155 Max PSI 5.3SCFM@90PSI
1.6HP/30 Gallon Tank

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:21 am
Okay.....did you happen to read the post underneath this one? If you did you know how I feel about being undercompressored. Can you do panel by panel with that gun and compressor? Well, yes, but gee, with what even single stage paints cost now why don't you just wait and buy a decent used compressor???? That gun and compressor you are looking at are at the ragged edge of working together. And fading.....the paint is what it is. If you get the paint on the car and it flows out it is not going to fade any faster/slower than any other normal application.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:31 am
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Not many guns, even LVLP will run on that little CFM of air.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:17 pm
Okay, so I just had to satisfy my curiosity.... I went on 3 web sites with local listings within about 50 miles or so of me....found 13 compressors in the $100 to $400 range that I would consider sufficient for shooting a car. Heck, one was just 6 months old when the guys marriage fell apart.... Point is you could probably combo up a purchase like that with a decent good used gun, shoot your car, and STILL sell all your equipment for just about what you paid for it.....net result you'd just be paying for your paint and prep. supplies..... and you'd do less of this...... :knockout:

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:36 pm
I know that the monies add up and there are several pros out there can get a good finish with one of the HF Purple guns, but I was really surprised how much easier a good gun is to use compared to a cheapy gun.

I went from a Starting Line piece of trash to a Finish Line and I could tell the difference. Then I got a Sagola 4600 and what a difference that thing is. I have used a couple different Iwatas and they were also very nice guns.

I use an ANI F150/160 for shooting flake and that is also a pretty good gun and is less than $150 delivered to your door.

I'd suggest listening to these guys and invest a little into your tools - and don't forget a good desiccant filter.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Return to Tools and Supplies