Fitting size dilemma

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm
I customize motorcycles as a hobby and decided to learn how to paint. I have some cheap HF guns for primer, the HF Pro for base coat and needed a good clearcoat gun. So a couple months ago I purchased a Devilbiss GTI Pro Lite for clear coat. I've been practicing with a Husky 26 gallon compressor. Last week I acquired a Belaire 5HP 80 gallon air compressor that puts out 15.3 CFM at 100 psi. Yesterday I ordered a Flexzilla 1/2 inch hose. That comes with 3/8 ends so I ordered 3/8 inch NPT high flow fittings and quick connects.

Here is my dilemma: The gun is 1/4 NPT. I'm assuming that this would be the bottle neck in my system. If the gun is 1/4 NPT why bother with the 1/2 or 3/8 inch air hoses?

Are there guns that take 3/8 or 1/2 inch NPT fittings?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:05 am
i am not familiar with HF guns, but on SATA the inlet is same size as a high flow fitting
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:43 pm
Hades02 wrote:...Here is my dilemma: The gun is 1/4 NPT. I'm assuming that this would be the bottle neck in my system. If the gun is 1/4 NPT why bother with the 1/2 or 3/8 inch air hoses?

I have a couple different guns and they all use the same 1/4" inlet fittings, its not a problem.

Don't forget to get a good water trap and desiccant filter. I also use the little Devilbiss bulbs that go on the gun next to the air pressure regulator.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
Hades02 wrote:...Here is my dilemma: The gun is 1/4 NPT. I'm assuming that this would be the bottle neck in my system. If the gun is 1/4 NPT why bother with the 1/2 or 3/8 inch air hoses?

I have a couple different guns and they all use the same 1/4" inlet fittings, its not a problem.

Don't forget to get a good water trap and desiccant filter. I also use the little Devilbiss bulbs that go on the gun next to the air pressure regulator.

What water trap and desiccant filter are you using? I'm also looking for a decent pressure regulator as the compressor does not have one built in.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 pm
Hades02 wrote:What water trap and desiccant filter are you using? I'm also looking for a decent pressure regulator as the compressor does not have one built in.

I use a Rapid Air 1" regulator/water trap followed by a 1/2" PneumaticPlus SAU4030M-N04DG-MEP Three Stage Air Drying System followed by a Devilbiss QC3 which is the desiccant.

Don't forget to have a shut off ball valve right before your desiccant so you can shut it off to the outside air otherwise it can just keep sucking moisture up when you aren't using it.

I use the Legacy Manufacturing high flow connectors for my guns only and a different connector for my air tools so someone doesn't hook up a DA or fill their tires with the desiccant dried air.

On the second photo before the first Rapid Air regulator/water trap at the lower elbow (the blue one) I will end up replacing and install a "T" with a leg down to act as a water drain as that line does build up with water. The traps catch it but I just would like a way to drain the long line also.

I used all Rapid Air air lines also other than the brass fittings - good stuff. Don't use pvc water lines as it is very dangerous.

Air Wall.jpg

Rapid Air (2).jpg

Rapid Air (1).jpg

PneumaticPlus (1).jpg

QC3.jpg

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 pm
BTW, why don't you use that GTI Pro Lite for your base coats?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 am
Probably for the same reason that I have 3 Pro Lites and an Iwata dedicated for clear. Don't want any contamination of colour or metallic from previous job.

Apart from that, the pots stay clean and look nice. :goodjob:
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies